129

I walked up to the two dragons laying dead at the tips of Doron's claws and looked them over. They're bodies were muscular and toned with a thick covering of scales that could repel the most advanced handheld weapons, yet were futile in defense of their own biological weapons.

"Ready to get back?" I asked as I turned to Amy.

"Sure. Let's get going. The sun's almost gone anyway." She replied.

"Almost is a bit of an under statement." I said as I climbed Doron's wing and took my spot on his back.

Veracon and Doron turned to face the direction of the Valley, before strutting forward and leaping off the side of the mountain and spreading their wings as the dropped towards the ground. Their wings caught them both mid fall, slapping against the cool air setting over the forest. The two dragons flapped their massive wings, against the ground, slowly bringing them up above the forest as the stars started lighting up the sky one by one. We flew towards the valley through the endless sky and over the sea of trees below in utter silence with the exception of the occasional flap of the wings. It still felt like the first flight every time I went up, whether flying through the silent and star filled night sky, or flying through a blood covered battle over the bodies of thousands of dead men. I felt my eyes getting heavy for a moment, before I heard a screech behind us. I turned to look over my shoulder and was greeted with the silhouette of a dragon diving towards us. 

"Hey! Nice night for a ride isn't it?" Said a familiar voice distantly.

I squinted my eyes in a futile attempt to see the person who was obviously Tahli riding on the back of the dragon which was now clearly Ragon. The green dragon flew up beside Doron's right side as Veracon flew off to our left. We flew together back towards the valley, occasionally being joined by smaller dragons who noticed our return, until finally, the valley came into a darkened view up ahead.

"Take us down." I said.

Doron let out a screech that carried out over the forest as he flew down into the valley to announced his presence. The dragons who had fallen asleep in the valley snapped their heads up and backed away as Doron approached, and set down in the valley. He lowered his wing to the ground to allow me to dismount him, and crouched his body as low as he could in order to reduce my descent.

"That was nice. I still love going up." I said to Doron as I patted the tip of his snout.

He purred and clicked at me as I turned to see Bailey walking up to me.

"Nice to have you back." She said as we wrapped ourselves together in a warming hug that squeezed the cool air out from my skin.

"I think she agree's with you on that." I said as Magar pressed up against Doron behind us.

We turned and watched the two dragons embracing each other, exchanging clicks and vocals with each other as the interacted. As Magar backed she away from Doron, several of her newborn chicks came to her side, whining for her comfort. She turned back to Doron for a brief moment before retreating to the nest with the hatch-lings and wrapping her tail around them.

"Well, I'm off to sleep." Bailey said as she turned and started towards Magar's nest.

"You should be too." Tahli said as she walked up behind me.

I sighed.

"Yeah, I guess I should be. I haven't been sleeping well lately." I replied.

"I've noticed you have been loosing sleep. Any reason why?" Amy asked as she joined us.

I pondered for a moment, until I realized I didn't have an answer.

"I-I don't know. But something just doesn't feel right. The dragons seem to be unsettled, which unsettles me." I said.

They both grew a confused look across their faces.

"They don't seem unsettled. Why do you say that?" Tahli asked.

Just as she said this, Doron turned his head towards me. I could feel his heart beat through mine, and could almost feel his emotions through my own mind.

"When you form a bond with a dragon, you become one. And only one." I said.