19

1 Year Later

      We hadn't seen Doron in months, God knows where he had gone off too. But Veracon and Ragon were still in good health. They had reached around thirty-five feet or so in length. They hadn't been released from their chains in a year, they hadn't even been more than fifty feet away from each other since I chained them up.

"Mornin' Jess, sleep well?" Micha said one day at first light.

"Ya, if you call it that." I replied.

I hadn't gone one day without thinking about Doron. Ragon and Veracn were already almost forty feet long. And they hav'nt been free for a year. I could only imagine how big Doron must have gotten, assuming he was still alive. But I tired not to think about him, as it would just hinder by ability to care for the other two.

"Ready to go find them some food?" Micha said while stroking Ragons throat.

"Sure am. Be back in a bit." I said as I headed out to hunt. 

As they got bigger, the needed more food. Another year or so and they would be big enough to defend themselves against a small group of soldiers, or at least stop them from escaping. I headed out with my bow and a bag of arrows.

I spotted a raccoon, and killed it with one shot to the head. Not long after I took down a squirrel, and I managed to shoot down a hawk as it landed on a tree branch. As I started back towards the cave, I got the feeling I was being followed. I shrugged it off and continued, but when I was about two-hundred feet away from the cave, I got the feeling to look behind me.

I saw three wolves running at me from within the trees. How I made it back through the forest at night without this happening, i'll never know.

"Jess run!" Micha screamed.

I ran towards the cave as fast as I could go, until I got close enough to jump to safety. I jumped and landed just under Ragons head just as he and Veracon roasted the attackers in a matter of seconds.

"Looks like they have an extra treat for tonight." Micha said as she helped me up to my feet.

"Thanks you two." I said while gesturing to the two dragons.

They both looked away at the same time, they seemed to be annoyed with me. Never the less, they consumed their fresh meat, I tossed them what I had killed as a little extra treat, and Micha and I retired to the cave.

"When will we get out of this cave?" Micha asked as we sat around the fire.

"When they get big enough." I said back to her.

"How long before they are big enough?" She asked.

"Another year or so... Once they are large enough to ride." I said,

Neither of us said anything more. We just sat there for the rest of the day, and as the sun went down, I could see myself flying off in the distance. Riding on the back.. of a dragon. 

Hey Everyone!

If you're enjoying this story, be sure to check out my new story "The Mountain Dragon"! It can be found on my profile page and is still in progress, updates are daily or bi-daily on average.

Enjoy!