6

2 days later

My dad had told my mother about the eggs, she was surprised, pissed off, and afraid. Just as I thought she would. But all I was still more worried about who would be picked to die in front of the village.

Later that day, I found that very thing out. The soldiers started coming around, pulling random people from their houses, their families screaming and begging, to no avail. My dad grabbed me by the arm and pulled me into his room, reached under the bed and pulled out an old beat up case full of hay, it looked like he had prepared it ahead of time. He went to the fire place, and put the eggs in carefully, nestled in the hay for padding. 

"Dad?? Whats going on?" I asked frantically.

"Jessica listen, you need to take your sister, these eggs, your bow,arrows, knives and a couple of horses and get out of here. Take these eggs far away from here, get a fire going, and wait for them to hatch. Stay alive. Keep the dragons safe from birth and they will bond with you, follow you, live for you. If those dragons get large enough, they could be the key to saving our people from the un-ending hell we have been living in." He said.

Just then, we heard the door get kicked open, and my mom started to scream. My dad took the case, closed it, and slide it under the bed.

"Come back for it." He said with tears welling up in his eyes.

He went out to greet the soldiers, where they wrestled him to the ground, and dragged him and my mother outside along with dozens of others and took them to the clearing where I had seen hundreds of people die in the past. Micha was sobbing as I held her close. We walked out to join the crowd, when we arrived, we saw our parents, along with about six-dozen others being tied to wooden posts, and blindfolded. Our parents kept their eyes on us right up until they were blindfolded. My dads eyes were filled with a mix of defeat, and hope until they were covered for the last time.

I held Micha close, and buried her head in my chest. I didn't want her to see what was going to happen. 

One by one, the slit the throats of the people tied up. Every ten seconds or so, more blood was spilled out onto the ground, the sounds of people in the crowd crying was unforgettable. I watched as the executioner got closer and closer to my parents, until her tilted my moms head up, brought the knife to her neck, and sliced her throat open, causing a waterfall of blood to pour out. I Tried my best to hold back my tears, but I failed miserably. My dad was next, but unlike my mother, he had a creepy grin on his face, even as blood poured from his neck and mouth as his head dropped.

After the culling had finished, a speaker stepped up. 

"The people who you see before you, dead at the instruction of your king, have died to remind you who is in control. Who has the final say in who does what, who lives ,and who dies. For your sake, do not forget your place. Your people were defeated by our kings ancestors because you are inferior, useless, pointless. Remember where you belong." He said with a bellowing voice that carried over the crowd like an invisible fog.

Micha and I returned home, both of us crying, broken, defeated. 

"Jess what do we do? We have no parents now!" She said through the tears.

I hugged her tight.

"There's something we need to do." I said as I led her into dad's room. 

I pulled the case out from under the bed, and opened it.

Her eyes went wide when she realized what she was looking at.

"Dragons eggs?" She said.