54

I awoke the next morning to the bright sunlight shinning through Dorons translucent wing with Jonah still asleep next to me.

"Hey, wake up." I said as I nudged Jonah.

He woke moments later and rubbed his eyes as he crawled out from under Dorons wing with me right behind. We emerged to see Ragon drinking from the lake with Tahli sitting by his side. As we walked past Dorons head, I turned to see his eyes wide open looking down at us.

"Damn he's loyal." Jonah said.

"A dragon is loyal to his master, so long as the master is loyal to the dragon." I replied.

"Do they always wait for you to wake before moving?" Jonah asked.

"Normally I wake before he does. We were up later than usual last night." I said bluntly.

I walked over to Tahli and tapped her on the shoulder as Ragon drank ferociously from the lake.

"Morning." I said.

"Morning Jess. You're up late." Tahli said.

"Yeah, I took Jonah up for a ride as a reward for his bravery." I said.

She gave me a funny look.

"You sure that's all you did?" She said with a chuckle.

"Oh.. You heard all that." 

"It woke me in the middle of the night. I'm just glad it didn't wake Ragon." She said.

I turned and motioned for Doron to join Ragon, as he looked unsure of whether or not to do so. He came to Ragons side and just plopped down beside him as Ragon brushed his nose through the weeds in the shallow water.

"Jonah?"

He turned and walked over to us. He sat down beside me but tried to avoid eye contact.

"Don't worry. It's not a bad thing. Don't worry about it." I said.

He shyly looked over at me, before looking back away. I looked over at Tahli, who was giving me a strange look.

"What?" I whispered.

"What's his problem? He gets to sleep with the person in charge of the whole damn army, and the person with the biggest dragon?" She whispered back.

"He's just shy. Can you blame him?" I replied.

I looked back over to Jonah, before Doron and Ragon suddenly snapped their heads up and both looked in the same direction, though the trees prevented us from seeing what they were looking at.

"What's gotten into them?" Tahli asked.

"I'm not sure. Doron! What's wrong"? I asked as I placed my hand on his side.

He and Ragon and exchanged several shrieks, moans and hisses, before the backed away from the lakes edge.

"Are they alright?" Jonah asked as he followed us.

"I have no idea. Something must have scared them or something." I said.

Both dragons turned back towards the lake. Doron started towards us, spreading his wings and taking to the air. Ragon followed suit and took off behind him.

"What the hell? Ragon! Ragon come back! At least take us with you!" Tahli called out as the dragons flew away.

But it was no use. Within a moment, both dragons had vanished into the clouds up above. I looked around, hoping to see them emerge elsewhere from the cloud cover. But, I soon realized that they had gone off somewhere.

"Well that's just great. First one dies, then the other two decide to run off like children!" Tahli yelled.

The death comment struck a core of sadness in me, which apparently showed on my face.

"Oh.. God i'm sorry Jess I didn't mean to-"

"It's fine. I'm just confused where they went off to." I said.

"Hunting maybe?"Jonah said.

"No. They usually don't just leave like that out of nowhere. If they sensed an animal they would usually stay low to the trees to spot it. They went straight for the clouds." I said.

I had no idea where the dragons could have gone. I recalled the moment so long ago when I had chained Ragon and Veracon up, and when Doron fled and didn't come back for what felt like a lifetime. I just hoped that this time, he would return as well.

"What the hell are you doing Doron." I said.