82

"Dive!" I shouted. 

Ragon and Veracon unlatched themselves from the mountain side and dove towards the clouds. Doron followed them until we breached the clouds. We were greeted by the sight or arrows flying and men on both sides collapsing to the ground. Bailey grasped hold of my shirt as I drew my bow.

"Fire!"

All the dragons strafed the soldiers as the charged at the shield wall. The sound of men screaming in pain as they either burned, or got shafted in the chest with arrows. I drew my bow and fired an arrow into the sea of soldiers blindly. I looked over Doron's side to see the men who had gone out with Jonah retreating behind the shield wall as the soldiers approached. I could see Jonah very distantly as he was swallowed by the warriors in mass. Veracon passed in front of me and dove down on the soldiers who had nearly reached the wall and set them aflame with one quick pass. I looked over my shoulder to see the men who had been hidden off to the side surrounding the soldiers from behind.

"It's working!" I shouted to Tahli as she flew along side me.

Just then, long range arrows flew between the two dragons. I looked down to see several long range bows aimed up at us, with several more aimed at the shield wall. Several arrows flew towards the wall of men, punching holes in it as soldiers scrambled towards the weakened sections. 

"Dive!" I ordered.

Doron dove on the bows and took them out, along with several soldiers in one swift pass over head just above the ground. I looked over my shoulder to see Veracon and Ragon following us. I waved for another diving attack before the men at the rear got mixed in with the soldiers. Veracon and Ragon dove down with Doron and lit the group of soldiers up with their flaming breath. I turned and looked down at the carnage. The warriors surrounded the soldiers, and the battle soon turned into a slaughter. The dragons could no longer use their fiery breath without killing some of our own men in the process. 

"Hang on, keep your head down. We're going low." I said to Bailey.

Doron dove down to just above the battle raging below, and fired several arrows at soldiers who were far enough away from any of our men to hit them without hurting any of ours. I flew past the shield wall and looked down at the endless amounts of warriors who had died fighting, and lay in pools of blood that painted the once green grass a dark red. Just then Ragon and Veracon came to Doron's side. 

"We've got to do something! We can't just fly around until the fighting is done. To many of our men are dying!" Amy shouted distantly.

I nodded my head, and started to think of what else we could do. There wasn't any chance of fire without inflicting our own casualties. I drew my bow once again and loosed the last of my arrows into the jumbling mess of men, swords, blood and internal organs. Amy and Tahli did the same as we were shot at with arrows from soldiers on the ground. The arrow bounced off the dragons scales, but they were still deadly to any one of the four of us. The dragons sensed the danger and all ascended at once. I looked over to see a group of soldiers retreating towards the volcano.

"No no no! Stay low! We have to keep fighting!" I shouted to Doron.

But against orders, all three dragons continued up to the mountain tops. Bailey held on to me with her face buried in my chest. I could feel her heavy breathing. We flew over the top of the volcano, and looked down to see soldiers flooding the field next to the brush covered valley. The dragons hissed and screeched wildly as the dove in and roasted the soldiers in a few quick passes, only this time I had specifically ordered them not to do so and to remain back at the main battle field. circled around over the field, before one by one, the landed. I sensed that Doron wasn't going to take off again, so I, along with Bailey, dismounted and walked around to Doron's head as Tahli and Amy came to join us.

"What's up with them? We took down the soldiers, why did they fly over here against orders to take out that small group of men?" Tahli asked.

"I-I don't know. But they seem over protective of this volcano for some reason." I replied.

I turned and walked over to Doron. He lowered his head to greet me as I walked up to him.

"What's this about?" I exclaimed.

He tilted his head and looked towards the small valley off to the side. He, along with the other two dragons crawled over to it and began shifting the vegetation aside with their claws. The four of us walked over to their side. They all looked down at us, waiting for something.

"Go in." Bailey said softly.

I peered down into the small valley, and slowly climbed down into it. I wasn't sure why, but I felt drawn into it. I stumbled around in the thick underbrush carpeting the valley floor, until something caught my eye. It was a bright red flash of something hidden under the dirt, and some branches. I pushed the vegetation aside, and removed some of the dirt, and nearly fell back when I realized what I was looking at.

"Guys? You had better come down here." I said. 

"What is it?"Tahli replied.

I paused for a moment.

"Dragon egg."