91

"Look at that!" Jonah said as he came up behind me with a dead rabbit he had hunted.

Magar flapped her wings repeatedly as she circled around over head. Doron, Veracon and Ragon hissed and vocalized as Magar attempted to stay in the air. She screeched and lurched up and down trying to stay up. The other six hatch-lings gathered around my ankles and started chirping wildly. Tilio flapped his wings in an effort to fly as well, followed by Tegon.

"They want to fly too!" Bailey exclaimed.

"Well, let's not disappoint them." I replied. 

Jonah set down his bow and came to help us with the hatch-lings. Doron lowered his head down to us once again, and we placed the six remaining hatch-lings on his rear facing horns and spikes.

"Alright, take them up." I said.

Doron raised his head back up and held it there as they contemplated leaping off. One by one, they gained the courage to jump.  They joined Magar as the circled around over head, seemingly talking to each other with each sound they made. Tegon's bright white wings were shining bright with the light of the sun, Tilio stuck out with his blood red body against the pale blue sky. Cumano and Alio both blended some what well with the sky, and both Yulion and Derion were looked like dull colored birds. Magar's silver lining on her wings was the most noticeable feature as she passed over us. She looked down at Bailey and chirped loudly.

"Come down!" Bailey shouted.

Magar didn't do as Bailey instructed, but instead headed for a tree off to the side. She attempted a landing, but ended up crashing into the branches and leaves before falling to the ground. She flipped over onto her belly and looked up at us.

"Well, that could have gone worse." Amy said with a chuckle.

"Come here you!" Bailey shouted while she held her arms out.

Magar came running over to Bailey, and even managed to get off the ground for a brief moment before she met Bailey in the long grass.

"Good job!" She exclaimed as Derion came down beside her.

Cumano landed right next to me, and Tegon ended up crashing into me, knocking me down.  Yulion and Tilio bumped into each other just above the ground and fell into the grass, while Alio managed to land rather peacefully, with out a dramatic crash.

"You all have to practice more. Again." I said as the formed a circle around me.

They tried their landings several more times before the sun finally started going down.  Yulion was almost the same color as the sky as it turned orange with the sun set. As the sun dipped behind the horizon, the baby dragons gathered around the fire Doron had created to keep warm. Jonah wrapped his arm around me as Tilio sat at my feet sleeping.

"Well, another week or so and they'll be able to fly with out help." He said.

"Yeah. Hopefully they can land too." I replied.

I looked over to see Bailey laying up against Doron with Magar asleep in her arms. The baby dragon was still the only one of the seven to have a bond with an individual, and it happened much faster than my bond with Doron.

"I'm going to put her to sleep." I said as I stood up. 

I walked over to Bailey and picked Magar up from her arms. She purred as I rubbed the back of her neck. 

"Bailey, Bailey!" I said as I lightly kicked her in the leg.

"W-What?" She said as she rubbed her eyes.

"Come on. Time for bed." I said as I handed Magar back to her.

She stood up as Doron raised his wing slightly.

"Good night." She said as she crawled under his wing with Magar.

When I turned back, Amy and Tahli had both already gone to bed for the night, and only Jonah was left with the other hatch-lings.

"Come on. Let's get some sleep." I said to him.

He said nothing as he stood up and started towards me. The baby dragons followed us under Doron's wing. I laid down beside Jonah in the long, thick grass. Bailey was off to the side with Magar in her arms, and the other hatch-lings scattered themselves around in the grass.

"Good night you guys. If only you knew what you were." I said softly.