39

3 Days Later

    I woke up one morning. The air was cool with the chill of the wind, and the warmth of Dorons side at my back as I laid propped up against him. My eyes were heavy, I had a hard time keeping them open, before Doron started to move and I was forced to stand up. He, as well as Veracon and Ragon simultaneously raised their heads up and looked to the horizon. I just assumed they had heard or smelled a prey animal, so I thought nothing of it.

"Morning Jess." Micha said as she walked up to me with Tahli close behind.  

"Mornin' you two, sleep well?"

"I was sleeping well, until they decided to get up." Micha said as she gestured to the dragons.

The three of them seemed agitated, like they were afraid of something. 

"Should we wake everyone?" Micha asked.

But I didn't say anything as I stepped to Dorons side.

"Whats wrong? Smell something?"

He started to growl as he looked to the horizon. I did the same as I started to feel genuinely concerned. Then, I started to feel a slight rumble in the ground as the dragons started to react directly to something by hissing and screeching slightly. I squinted, just as I started to see thousands of black dots emerge from the horizon. My heart sank when I realized what I was looking at.

"Dragons! Get on your dragons! Wake every one up We're under attack!" I screamed as I mounted Doron.

Micha and Tahli looked at me in shock, as Doron roared over the sleeping army, waking them in just a few seconds. Doron took off with me on his back, and we flew to the front of the group.

"Shield wall! Archers second behind! We're being attacked!" I commanded as I dismounted Doron.

The men closest to me relayed my orders to the others as I watched a wall of shields form, with archers backing them up. I mounted Doron, and headed back to Micha and Ragon. I looked back and saw a massive force of thousands upon thousands of soldiers of the king charging right as us.

"What should we do?!" Tahli exclaimed. 

"The only thing we can do. We fight." I said.

"This is just like all the other times we have fought, isn't it?" Micha asked.

"No. No its not. We haven't fought with our entire army, and we certainly haven't faced a force that size. And that's not even that many soldiers compared to the number that the king has." I said as I hurried back to Doron.

We all mounted our dragons, gave the command to fly, and took off over the army as they prepared for battle. I climbed to the bass of Dorons massive head, and leaned over one of his several foot long backward facing horns to see what was coming at us. I returned back to were I normally rode, and prayed. Tahli and Micha flew off to either side of me to create a wall of flame. As we neared the approaching military, I knew it was going to be a bloody fight.

"Fire!" I commanded Doron. 

All three dragons let loose with a deadly stream of fire, strafing the massive force as we passed over head.

"Don't fly straight! It'll make you an easy target!" I shouted to Micha and Tahli, though I imagined they probably couldn't hear me. 

I looked back to our army as the kings soldiers collided with our shield wall. Arrows started flying in both directions, as well as spears being thrust between shields both ways. Men started to fall on both sides as the fighting raged on. I flew back over our men who were awaiting their battle line to reach the front, the fear on their faces is something i'd never forget.

"C'mon, we've got to win this fight." I loudly exclaimed to Doron.

We dove on the enemy force and strafed back and forth with fire, Veracon and Ragon doing the same thing further up as more and more soldiers pressed up against the front line. Several arrows came flying towards all three of the dragons, but their scales were to thick, causing them to bounce off. I kept my eyes open for the long range bows that hurt Doron last time, but thankfully, I didn't spot any for the time being.

Just then, I noticed the other two dragons flying off on either side of me. Both Micha and Tahli gave me a thumbs up, signaling me to dive with them on the attackers. We dove down, all three dragons spreading fire wildly as they whipped their heads back and forth roasting thousands of soldiers on horse back. I looked back at the smoke bellowing up from the ground, the smoke filled the sky as the three of us circled around over head, making several more diving attacks, killing thousands more. We were taking heavy casualties, those who were still alive fighting gallantly. 

Just then, a much larger arrow flew past me, barley missing Dorons wing. I looked to the right to see no less than ten long range crossbows lined up and trained on us. My heart sank, as I looked back to our army. Seeing hundreds, probably thousands of our won lying dead on the battle field, more being killed every minute. They were being over whelmed, but at that moment, I had to deal with the several cross bows trained on the dragon. Several arrows came flying at us, Doron managed to dodge them all, but the fighting was far from over. We had to find some way to destroy those bows, and somehow, stop the endless flow of soldiers pounding our meager force. I continued making diving attacks, along with the other two dragons, trying to find an opening to engage the long range bows without being shot out of the sky. I looked over the battle field, as fires burned, men died ad suffered, and screamed in pain. Arrows flying in both directions yielded hundreds of casualties on both sides. It was a hopeless feeling.

"We'll never win this." I thought to myself.