77

We flew all through the night, until the clearing finally came into view, just as the sun started to peak up over the horizon. Ragon screeched as we landed. Amy dismounted Veracon, as Ragon and Veracon brushed their snouts up against each other, embracing the dragons return. I helped Bailey climb down Doron's wing as Amy and Tahli approached. 

"Nice to see you again." I said to Tahli as we hugged each other.

"You as well. Your eyes are blood red, you look tired." She said.

"Oh trust me, i'm more than tired." I said.

Just then, Jonah came jogging towards me with a smile on his face.

"Glad you're back." He said as I jumped into his arms.

"I'm glad i'm back too." I replied.

Jonah and I passionately kissed for at least a minute, before we backed away from each other slightly.

"Did you find the soldiers?" He asked.

"Of course we did." I said as I tossed a burnt spear to the ground.

Jonah chuckled.

"That's my girl." He said with a smile.

As Tahli stepped back, she noticed Bailey standing behind me.

"Who's this?" Tahli asked.

Bailey looked away, showing how shy she was compared to Amy, Tahli and I.

"It's okay, no need to be nervous." Tahli said.

Bailey turned around slowly.

"I'm Bailey. I'm ten." Bailey said.

"Very nice to meet you. My name is Tahli."

"Welcome. Glad to have you." Jonah added.

Baileys face lit up like the sun when she learned Tahli's name

"Tahli? You're the one who has Ragon, the forest dragon, right?" She asked as a smile crept across her face.

"The forest dragon?" Tahli replied in slight confusion.

"I told her Ragon was green, like the forest." I said while cutting in.

Tahli chuckled.

"Ah, well in that case, yes. Would you like to meet him?" Tahli asked.

Bailey nodded in excitement.

"Ragon?' Tahli said as she whistled to get his attention.

Ragon turned away from Doron and Veracon, and lowered his giant head down to Tahli.

"Come on, he's just like the other two. He wont hurt you." Tahli said.

Bailey excitedly placed her hand on Ragon's snout as he purred in a low rumble.

"He likes you." Tahli said with a smile.

Just then, Doron and Veracon came to Ragons side. Bailey looked thrilled to have all three dragons paying her so much attention. I must admit, it was an interesting sight to behold.

Tahli turned and came towards Amy and I as Bailey enjoyed her new found attention.

"Where did she come from?" Tahli asked urgently.

"She was one of the survivors from the village attacks. Both her parents were killed by the soldiers. She asked if she could come with us, and I decided she didn't deserve to be left with no one." I said.

"Well, who's going to take care of her?" Jonah asked.

I looked over at Bailey for a moment. She was still gazing up at the dragons as a curious child would be expected to.

"We will." I said as I looked to Jonah.

Jonah raised an eyebrow, before opening his mouth to speak.

"It is decided." I said as I threw my hand in front of his face to silence him.

He bowed his head in submission. I nodded, and turned ti Tahli once again.

"So, I guess we need to teach her how to not get killed now." I said.

"She's already managed that the first time around. What can a ten year old do in battle any ways?" Amy added.

"Don't ask me, because I have no idea. She's to small to be able to even use one of our bows, or throw a spear. She could probably wield a dagger or maybe a small sword, but that's probably it. She can't be aloud to separate herself from us. If that happens, she's done for." I said.

"Didn't she say her father was fighting for us, and her mother was the one killed by the soldiers?' Amy asked.

"She did, yes."

"Why not leave her with her father?" Tahli added.

"We have millions of followers, millions of people spread out across a massive area. Many thousands have already died fighting. There's next to no chance of us finding the man, if he's even still alive." I said.

Tahli sighed in frustration an walked over to Bailey. Ragon bowed his head in submission as Tahli approached.

"What was your fathers name?' Tahli asked.

Bailey turned around, looking surprised to see Tahli behind her.

"Frank Ross." Bailey said in a flat tone.

"Okay. Sorry for the bother, I was just curious." Tahli replied.

Tahli walked back over to us.

"Frank Ross. Jonah, take a group of men and scout for him. If you find him, report back to us at once. Understood?" Tahli said firmly.

Jonah looked to me for direction. I nodded my head before he looked back to Tahli.

"Understood." He said.

He went over to his horse and galloped off into the trees to collect a group of men.

"If we find this guy, then for her sake, she should be his responsibility." Tahli said.

I sighed.

"She will decide what happens to her." I said.

Hey Everyone!

If you're enjoying this story, be sure to check out my new story "The Dragon's Bond"! It can be found on my profile page and is still in progress, updates are daily or bi-daily on average.

Enjoy!