107

We flew back towards the valley in utter silence. None of the men said anything on the way back. They seemed to know that saying the wrong thing could cost them their lives. Finally, after a long, award flight, the valley came into view up ahead. The clouds were still thick, and were beginning to change color as the sun began to go down for the night. Doron flew down into the valley and landed in the center. Magar came to greet him as he landed, the two dragons nudging each other, as well as licking each other and clicking back and forth. I dismounted, along with the five men.

"Who are these guys?" Amy asked as she approached.

"They are what the dragons were so disturbed by. They say they're strays from the kings army, and that they want to fight for us. Though i'm not sure if I believe them, or if we should just kill them." I said.

The five men gave me a puzzling look.

"Oh to hell with them. I'll kill these bastards my self." Jonah said as he drew his sword and stepped forward.

He raised his sword up and started to bring it down on John's head.

"No!" I shouted as I grabbed his arm to stop him.

Jonah glared at me with his narrow eyes, before looking down at John as he held his hands over his head in a futile attempt to protect himself.

"Have any of you fought against us before?" He asked as he pressed the sword up against John's head.

The five men looked around at each other, before John slowly stood up and stepped back as I stepped between him and Jonah. John hesitated for a moment, before opening his mouth to speak.

"Only I did. The others, including my son, were all in the interior guarding the king. I'm the only one who has taken part in any combat against you." He said hesitantly.

Jonah grew an angry look on his face.

"Then they is a chance you have shot at us, and killed several of our men. You die now." He said as he stepped forward while raising his sword.

John flinched as I stepped between them once again.

"No one is killing any body unless I say so." I said firmly. 

Jonah glared at me, before turning and walking off. It was then that I took notice of the other dragons surrounding us in curiosity. Magar stepped forward to examine the new arrivals, but Doron stepped between her and the men and hissed at her to stay back, which she did without protest. 

"Oh my... Look at them all." Hudson said in a whisper.

Tilio leaped forward and snapped at them as they approached Alio, causing them to stumble back in surprise.

"That's Tilio. He and Alio are... Uhm... Together." I said with a chuckle.

"They're mated?" John asked.

"Yes. Doron, the dragon who wanted to kill you in the forest is mated with Magar, the purple and silver dragon. He's my mount, and the alpha of the group." I said.

"The bright green is Ragon. He's mated with Tegon, the white dragon. Ragon is my mount". Tahli exclaimed.

"And the others?" Theodore asked.

"Well, the orange is Yulion, the dark blue is Cumano,the brown is Derion, and the large cream colored is Veracon. Amy's mount." I replied.

"Have they not got their own partners?" Gerald asked.

"Well, there are only three females, and seven males. They fought for the right to each female, and they didn't win. They'll get their chance if the three mated pairs have any female off spring that survive to breeding age." I said.

"I-I have so many questions." Theodore said.

"You may ask." I replied.

"Well, what's their growth rate?" He asked.

"That depends on their supply of food, as well as how much freedom they have. Doron is the same age as Veracon and Ragon, but he is larger because I restricted the other two when they were younger, but not Doron. He grew faster as a result."

"Well, why are those three so much larger than the others?" Hudson asked cutting in.

"They were hatched much later." I replied.

"Enough for now. We've got to get a fire built for the night. Come. Help us collect rocks and twigs." Amy said.

Jonah gave the men a threatening glare as they passed him by while following me into the grove of trees up ahead.

"Tahli, you take them to find branches and rocks. I'll catch up with you,"I said as I stopped and walked over to Jonah.

"Alright. Sounds good." She replied as the group walked off.

"Hun, I know you don't like having them here, but they could be a serious ally."  I said.

"Yes, or a serious threat." He replied.

"Oh for God sake. We have ten dragons, three that are almost the size of a small village that are here to protect us. You really think these guys are that stupid?"I said defiantly. 

"The one said he fought against us. He's killed our own men, and has likely loosed and arrow or two at you as well." He replied within a second.

"Listen. If they do try anything, you can tear their guts out with your bare hands, and i'll look the other way. Deal?"

He grunted.

"Sure. If you survive that is."

I went and kissed him for a moment. 

"I'll be fine. We'll all be fine." I said.