128

I sat up against Doron's side as the sun gradually got lower and lower, changing the sky from ocean blue to a dazzling array of colors that lit up Doron's eyes. The air slowly started to get cooler as the suns light was replaced by darkness.

"Ready to get back?" I asked Doron.

Just as I finished my sentence, I heard a familiar screech from behind me. I turned to see Veracon soaring towards us, the remaining sunlight reflecting brilliantly off his shimmering cream wings. He circled the flattened mountain top several times before latching on to the side and slowly making his way up to the top. As he lowered his head, Amy slide down his wing and started towards me as Doron and Veracon confronted each other. It never failed to strike me how much larger Doron was, even though it had been that way for many years.

"That wasn't so hard." Amy said as she walked up to me.

"What wasn't hard?" I asked.

"Finding you." She said as she tossed me my bow.

"You could see me from that high up?"

Amy chuckled.

"No, but that dragon of yours is a little larger than a dragonfly." Amy replied.                                          

I chuckled to myself as Amy sat down beside me, with our dragons hissing and snarling at each other behind us.

"You ready to head back?" I asked as I turned to Doron.

He grunted, before he responded to something that I was unaware of at the moment. I slowed my breathing to listen better, and heard the faint sounds of dragons screeching wildly above the clouds. Doron snarled and let out a brief screech as he pitched his head up towards the sky and gazed motionlessly into the clouds for several seconds.

"What is it?" I asked.

But just as I finished, I was struck by the sight of three young dragons diving out from the clouds, screeching and clawing at each other as one of the three shot a stream of fire at the other two. One of the three was larger than the others, seemingly older, and had a mostly grey body with white spots covering its wings. The other two were far smaller, barely half the size. One was bright silver, the other Black with blue accents. The three dragons circled around over us, cawing and clicking to get Doron's attention.

"What are they doing?" Amy asked.

"Three young males. Trying to impress their alpha, hoping for some level of dominance over the others. It's natural for them to want to kill each other. Females are much less aggressive." I replied.

"Will they actually kill each other?" 

I turned my head sharply to face Amy.

"Probably." I said.

We both turned and look up at the sky as the largest of the three gave chase to the other two, snapping his jaws at them, as well as spitting flames towards them in an effort to bring them down.

"We better get back." I said as I pushed Amy back with my arm while backing up myself.

The silver dragon flew right over us, being closely pursued by the grey and white dragon as he engulfed the smaller one in flames. As they circled around, the silver dragon slowly fluttered its wings as it gradually lost control from the damage done by the fire. The larger dragon dove in and grabbed hold of the smaller one with his talons and clawed into his opponent before flying towards us and tossed his nearly dead adversary to the ground. The silver dragon took a final breath before its head slumped down with a thud.

"Get back! Get back!" I shouted as the black and blue dragon circled around to attack the larger dragon.

The smaller one was thrown into the ground at the base of its already dead comrade, seconds before the larger one landed in front of it, forcing it to the ground with its sword like claws and grabbing hold of its head in his jaws. The victorious challenger put down his second adversary with a quick snap of the neck before looking up to Doron for approval. 

"What's happening now?" Amy asked.

"He's waiting to see what Doron thinks of his bravery." I replied.

Doron snarled and hissed as he lowered his head to meet the young dragon while he stood triumphantly over his stricken adversaries. He cawed and flashed his wings at his alpha, while Doron stared him down motionlessly. After several seconds, Doron let out a nearly silent series of clicks and rumbles, which caused the young dragons to roar and flash his wings in victory as he turned and looked out over the mountain range, with several other dragons far off in the distance. He turned to look back at Doron, who gave him a final click. The young dragon turned back to the horizon, spread his wings and leaped off the side of the mountain and soared gloriously into the never ending sea of clouds and color.

"Why would they feel the need to kill each other to impress him?" Amy asked.

"They're just trying to prove that they are strong enough to hunt down and kill other creatures. If they can prove that they can kill, then they have proven that can can take care of and defend their young should they be attack by a predator and need to defend while the mother stays with the young. I remember reading about it in school once or twice. Though it was only speculation at the time, i'd say it's now all but confirmed." I replied.

Amy seemed confused for a moment before asking a follow up question.

"So, is impressing him the way to get a mate?" She asked.

"No. It's simply the way to earn the right to compete for a mate. Even if they convince him, they still have to convince the females, as well as defeat other competing males." I replied.

There was a pause for a moment as the sun all but vanished below the horizon, leaving behind a faint glow where it had once been.

"And what if Doron found one trying to breed who he didn't think was good enough?" Amy asked.

I waited for a second before answering.

"He would probably kill them on the spot. If he catches them that is." I answered.

"If he catches them?" Amy responded.

"Yes. Some weaker males may try to breed without Doron finding out, but if he comes across one and it is unable to prove it can protect his kin, Doron wont hesitate to kill it. Some males would rather risk their lives proving themselves to Doron instead of going behind his back." I said.

The dragons had once been so numerous that you couldn't look up without seeing one, then, in the blink of an eye, they were gone. Now, they had returned to the world, and while they may have enemies within each other for reasons that can only be described as survival of the fittest, they would still prove time and time again to be our greatest ally.