87

I put my face just in front of the egg as the baby dragon looked around as his head moved around inside the egg. He pushed up against the egg until more pieces fell off. The baby dragon flopped out onto the ground and struggled to stand on his feet and claws. He was blood red, with black accents on the tips of his wings. Doron, Veracon and Ragon all looked down at the dragon chick as he looked around at them, screeching in a high pitched noise that I hadn't heard sense our dragons were babies.

"Tilio." I said as the dragon flapped his wings in a futile attempt to fly.

Amy came up beside me and picked him up.

"He's adorable." She exclaimed with a grin on her face.

Tahli, Bailey and I gathered around Amy and lightly pet the baby dragon as our three dragons hovered over us. As we swarmed the new baby, I instinctively turned around to see the orange egg splitting open. I hurried over to it as the orange dragon chick stumbled out of the egg. He was bright orange with bright yellow tipping his wings.

"Yulion." Amy said with a grin.

"This one's a boy." Amy said while chuckling.

"So is the orange one." Tahli said.

Seconds later, the brown and white eggs both began cracking. The white egg broke first. The dragon was bright white, with slight grey accents tipping his wings. The dragon was beautiful to look at, as white as the clouds. Tahli set Yulion down and picked up the white dragon. 

"This one's a girl." Tahli said.

"Her name is Tegon." I said.

Just as I announced the dragons name, the brown egg fell apart, revealing a dark brown dragon chick with no other color. I picked him up and flipped him over.

"This one's a boy. We'll call him Derion." I said as I set him down with his new siblings.

I looked at the remaining three eggs. The darker blue egg was hatching as I turned to look at them. The dragon chick was screeching as he struggled to stand up. He was dark blue with black accents tipping his wings and scales.

I picked the young dragon up, and quickly determined it was another male dragon.

"He will be called Cumano." I said as I set him down.

Seconds later, the remaining two eggs started to crack. The light blue egg, along with the purple and silver egg both fell apart at the same time. The blue dragon chick stumbled over to me, and was picked up by Amy.

"This one's a girl. Her name will be Alio." Amy said.

I turned around to see Bailey knelt down in front of the purple and silver chick. I walked over and picked the newborn dragon up and flipped it over.

"This one is female as well." I said.

"Let's call her Magar." Bailey said.

Magar was by far the most stunning to look at. Deep purple with bright silver flashes tipping each of her scales. Bailey picked her up and brought her over to the other six baby dragons. Doron, Veracon and Ragon surrounded the dragon chicks as the cuddled with each other in the long grass off to the side of where they were hatched. They looked around at the trees in the distance, then over at the river behind us. Doron and Veracon moved aside to allow the newborns to explore the river. They dipped their heads down in an attempt to drink the water, when Yulion fell in. I scooped him up in my hands and put him back on dry land. 

"You guys have a lot to learn." I said.

I stepped back and joined Bailey, Amy and Tahli.

"Well, I guess they weren't the last ones after all."  Amy said.

"Yeah, though I feel like if there were more surviving eggs, our dragons would have gone looking for them. They knew those eggs were there." I said.

"Do you think they are related?" Tahli asked.

"I think our three are siblings, yes. But I don't think they are related to the seven newborns, nor do I think the newborns are related to each other. Their eggs weren't buried as if they were laid by the same mother." I replied.

"Wait... If they aren't related, and we now have a few females, can they breed?" Amy asked.

We all went silent for a moment. I hadn't even realized that now the dragons had a real chance to breed, and survive.

"They can, yes, just as long as the females live long enough to reach breeding age." Tahli said.

"Keeping these newborns alive is our only priority now. We once had a massive army, and three dragons. Now, we have no army, but we now have ten dragons." I said.