55

Several weeks later

We hadn't seen either of the dragons in weeks, the army waiting for orders, many of them unaware that the dragons had flown off. Jonah had spend most of his time speculating with me and Tahli about what to do.

I woke early one morning, With Jonah by my side yet again, with Tahli several feet away sitting at the lakes edge. The nights felt lonely and empty without the dragons around.

"Morning." I said as I walked up behind her.

She turned to see me as I walked up behind her.

"Hey. How'd you sleep." She said.

"Oh, you know, the usual." I replied. 

I sat down beside her, dipping my toes in the cool lake water as the sunlight bounced of the surface of the water.

"I'm really worried. Where are they?" Tahli said.

"I have no idea. Perhaps we should send a search party." I said.

"For dragons? And what will they do when they find them? They only respond to us so we would both need to go." She said as she turned her head to me.

"No, if one dragon goes somewhere, the other will follow unless instructed otherwise. Only one of us needs to go. It's been way to long. We need to find them. Now." I said firmly.

"I totally agree with you. But where do we start?" Tahli asked.

"They flew off in the direction of the volcano, which they seemed to be drawn to for a while, so i'll head off in that direction. You've got to stay and keep charge just in case." I said.

With that, I got to my feet, and went to retrieve a horse from one of the men nearby. I gathered my bow, with several arrows as well as a sword and a dagger. 

"I'll be back." I said.

"I'll tell Jonah whats going on once he wakes his lazy ass up." Tahli said.

I turned and rode off towards the mountains, with the volcano on the rim of the mountain range. I rode for several hours through the endless sea  of trees, grass and bushes, before the sun started to get lower.

"I guess I better find some food." I said out loud.

I rode for a bit longer before spotting a small fox. Without much effort, i shafted the fox with an arrow, killing it instantly. After collecting my small prize, I started collecting branches to make a small shelter. I tied the horse up to a tree, and made a small fire to cook my fox meat. I ate as the sun went down, until it had completely vanished, replaced by the stars once again. I lay in my shelter, letting my mind wander. 

"What am I doing out here? What if the other dragons are dead too?" I thought as I let my eyes close.

I didn't get much sleep that night, which wasn't unusual to me. All night I was in edge, hearing the sounds of the forest, and the sounds of my horse getting unsettled outside. I just hoped that I would be able to reach the nearest village before nightfall, to avoid spending another night in the cold, dark forest alone.

The next morning

I was awoken the next morning by the sunlight shining through the trees at ground level. 

"Alright, let's get going. We've got a lot of ground to cover." I said to my horse as I mounted his back.

The forest seemed endless. The only thing keeping my on track was the sight of the mountains off in the distance through the trees. Every now and then, i'd see the odd rabbit, or perhaps a fox, one of which attempted to chase after us briefly. I rode until finally, after what felt like an eternity, I came to the edge of the forest and into a clearing. Up ahead, I could see buildings from a small village up ahead. I decided to pass through, thought whether it was for a legitimate reason, of just to relive old memories of my so called childhood. I waited until the sun started to go down later that day to pass through, in order to make finding a place to sleep some what easier. I rode through the small village, past the houses and other small buildings, then something caught my eye. Up ahead was a small school. I couldn't resist. I had to go in. I tied my horse up at the back to avoid detection.

"Just a quick look." I said in  whisper.

Hey Everyone!

If you're enjoying this story, be sure to check out my new story "The Mountain Dragon! It can be found on my profile page and is still in progress, updates are daily or bi-daily on average.

Enjoy!