11

2 Weeks Later

"Micha? Micha!" I called back into the cave as I waited for her to emerge.

"Coming, Just spilled my arrows." She replied.

We were on our way out to hunt. The dragons were still a bit to weak to fly, so they perched themselves on me instead. Doron and Veracon on my shoulders, and Ragon clinging to my shirt with his claws. We crept through the trees, taking care not to make any noise while we searched for small animals. Maybe a bird or rabbit or something.

We continued until Ragon picked up the scent of something. The other two seemed to pick it up as well, but he seemed to be sure of where it came from so we decided to trust his instincts. I put him down and we followed him for a few minutes, before Doron started to gain so directional sense as well, followed by Veracon. We put the them both down and they joined Ragon as they scurried along the rocky ground towards whatever they were after.

After several minutes, Up ahead, we saw a fox resting on a log.

"That will be for the dragons." I said in a whisper.

"Agreed." Micha replied.

"Stop." I ordered to the dragons softly.

On command, they all stopped as I passed them by.

"Stay with them. Keep the quiet and don't let them wander." I said to Micha.

I Stopped when I was about thirty feet or so away from the sleeping fox. I drew my arrow, took aim, and fired my arrow. It hit the fox in the chest, knocking it off the log squealing. I ran behind the log, Micha came behind me, the dragons trying to keep us with her. The fox was lying on the ground moaning in pain, the arrow lodged in its chest, blood painting the ground red. I pulled out my knife, and plunged it into the dying foxes chest to end its suffering. I removed the blade, and as I looked over the kill, Ragon started to lick the blood of my knife.

"Oh Ragon, what are you doing?" I said while chuckling.

"No eating until we get home little ones." Micha said while stroking Dorons back.

I Picked up the fox, slit is throat to drain as much blood as possible, then tied it up and put it over my shoulder. We continued until Doron looked and and hissed. I looked up and saw a hawk flying over head.

"I can't hit that, it's to high up."I said.

"The fox! Use the fox to bait it!" Micha said while putting her hand on my shoulder.

Not a bad idea, so I laid the fox on the ground and moved about forty feet away, the dragons with Micha a bit further back. Hawks usually hunt live prey, but they would be stupid not to take a free meal. Sure enough, the hawk landed right next to the fox. I fired an arrow and hit the hawk in the wing, which damaged it but didn't kill the hawk. We ran to catch it as it ran off trying to fly, but I put it down with a second arrow before we got to it. I collected both arrows and the dead hawk, as well as the fox. We turned and headed back towards the cave.

We arrived about an hour later, just as the sky started to turn orange with the setting of the sun. I sat on my ledge and started cleaning the hawk. I tossed the fox to the ground for the dragons to eat, and by the time I had finished cleaning the hawk and getting it ready to cook, the fox was gone.

"Damn you guys were hungry eh?" I said to them as Micha built a fire.

I went to secure their tethers to ensure they wouldn't run off during the night, then I went to check the makeshift gate we had made out of thick branches and rocks that was now guarding the ramp leading up to the cave to keep us safe at night. When I came back up, Micha was trying to start a fire with two rocks.

I went to help her, but just like every other night, it was taking forever. As we struggled, I heard Doron start cough up, I thought he was choking on something. But instead of spitting up a bone, he spat out smoke, then a hint of flame.

"Oh my God look! He's trying to breath fire!} Micha said while clapping. 

I picked him up and brought him over to the fire Micha had built. 

"C'mon Doron, If you wanna be a dragon when you grow up you gotta learn to breath fire." I said in a motherly voice.

Finally, for the first time in his life, Doron managed to get a flame out. Veracon and Ragon followed suit and within minutes we had a roaring fire.

"Well i'll be damned, guess all they gotta learn now is how to fly." I said while I started to cook the hawks leg.

Now that the dragons could finally use their signature weapon, I felt much more safe taking them out of the cave. I Hoped I wouldn't regret it.