4

We stood there for a moment, I wasn't sure what to think. I had never seen a dragon egg, nobody had seen one in at least one-hundred years. 

"Wh-What the hell? Where did you find them? Are they real? Why did you bring them here?" I asked in a frantic tone.

My father sat me down on the bed.

"When we saw the storm rolling in, We started looking for shelter, we decided to split up to make it more likely that at least some of us would find shelter. Me and the other two men who returned took shelter in a small cave at the base of the volcano." He said while staring me straight in the eyes.

He paused momentarily, then continued. 

" I went to lay on the ground to try and sleep, but couldn't. While the other two men slept, I lit a torch and walked deeper into the cave. I saw a pile of rocks that looked to have been placed there with intent. I decided to explore the pile, so I removed the rocks, only to find a sunken spot in the dirt." He said before pausing again.

"I pressed down on it, and my hand started to sink into the soft dirt, and I began to dig. I dug down for what felt like forever, why I kept digging, I don't know. I dug down about a foot into the dirt, by then my arm was starting to cramp. I wanted to stop and rest but something in the back of my head told me to keep going, so I did. I dug until I felt a weird, rough surface in the hot dirt, which WAS rather hot due to the volcano heating underground. I Pulled the egg out, before thinking to look for more, and sure enough, the other two were buried next to it." He said.

I looked at him with a confused look on my face.

"So... you just decided to dig under a pile of rocks for and hour, and found the first dragon eggs anyone has seen in one-hundred years?" I said.

"I don't know why I dug.. it felt like something was calling me to that spot. Like I was supposed to find them." He said.

I got up from the bed, and stood in front of the fireplace.

"Do...Do you think they will hatch?" I asked.

"Not unless they get exposed directly to fire, that's the only way to hatch them. The dragon that laid them probably laid them under ground near the volcano in the hopes that the underground heat would keep the eggs alive." he said.

"Why didn't they mother dragon just hatch them as soon as she laid them?" I asked.

"The eggs can't be hatched until they've been there for several weeks. The adult probably died in the fighting before it could hatch them." He said.

I examined the three eggs. 

They were scaly, much like a dragon itself, they were all different colors as well. One was Green, with Black on the tips of each scale. The second was cream with cold on the tips of the scales, and the third was mostly Black with red tipping each scale. They were the size of my head, much bigger than a chicken egg.

"Well... what do we do with them? The first dragon eggs in over one-hundred years are sitting in our fireplace." I said.

My dad put his hand on my shoulder.

"You will hatch them." My father said.

I quickly turned to face him.

" What the hell do you expect me to do with a nest of dragon babies? Why can't we give them to someone else?" I asked.

 My dad sat me down on the bed again.

"Jess... I didn't find those eggs for no reason." He said.

"Back when our people were in control of this land, as you know, dragons were common place among families. The only reason we lost the fighting was because of Tario. He was much older than any dragons we had, which is why we couldn't win. They're dragons were bigger, and stronger than ours. Now that we have the only known dragon eggs, we have the potential to regain our freedom." He said firmly.

"Dad... you do know that records show dragons not reaching any kind of maturity until age six, right? How do you suggest you use three dragons the size of a dog to fight anyone?" I said.

"If we were to somehow hatch these things, how on earth do you think we could wait for them to grow big enough to fight back?" I said to him.

"We would have to leave. Find a place in the forest, maybe the mountains to raise them." My dad said.

I sat there thinking about what to do. I had never thought in a million years I would see a dragon egg, and have the chance to bring dragons back, maybe even use them to regain our freedom. I sat there pondering.

"Are we really going to have dragons?" I thought to myself as my dad kept his eyes locked on the eggs.