9

The Next Day

      I woke up the next morning. The eggs still hadn't hatched, but Micha was sitting beside the fire, feeding it what was left of the fire wood. 

"Micha, here, eat." I said as I tossed her a peace of bread I had brought with us.

She took the bread and started eating, as I sat down beside her eating a peace of wolf meat left over from the night before. We both just sat and watched the eggs sit in the fire, the sparks landing on the fizzled out, the flames warped around them. They looked immune to the heat. It was certainly an odd sight to see.

"W-what should we do? Just sit here and wait?" Micha asked.

"Dragons used to breath fire down over their eggs to ignite the hatching when they were still around... my best guess would be that once the eggs start to hatch, or, If they start to hatch, we should take them out from the fire." I said.

I hoped I was right. After all, no one had even seen a dragon egg in one-hundred years, and as far as we know, no body had ever tried to hatch one without an adult. Whether or not using a man-made fire would do it or not was anyone's guess.

I decided to go and move the dead horses away from the base of the cave ledge, just to prevent anything from getting to close. 

"I'm going to move those horse carcasses away from the cave. Stay here, understand?" I said.

'Understood." Micha said.

I went down to the base of the cave with a sword on my waist.

I grabbed the horse and tried to pull, but it was way to heavy, so instead I started to cut the legs off, which would make for a good food supply. As I was heading back up to the cave, I heard Micha screaming my name.

"Jess! Jess! Hurry!" She yelled.

I hurried up to the cave top, dropped the horse leg to the side and hurried over to Micha, who was staring intently at the fire.

"What's wrong?" I asked frantically.

"The eggs... The one in the middle is shaking a bit." She said.

The black and red egg was moving slightly, the other two were staying still. We both sat next to the fire, watching the egg shake, neither of us said a word for several minutes.

Then, after what felt like a lifetime, I noticed a crack start to form slowly. It gradually moved down to the bottom of the scaly egg. A few smaller cracks appeared towards the top, until a small piece of the reptilian eggshell fell into the flame, and there, within the egg, was the blood red eye.. Of a dragon.