Chapter 117: My Friend

"Mom, I wanna ask you something." Evan said to Trinity as she was making some tea

"Ask away."

"Be honest with me, you think Sarai would like this ring?" He asked showing her the picture on his phone

"If it were me I'd love it, you have good taste and very expensive." She said as he smirked

"Nothing's too expensive for my Sarai, I spend a few thousand dollars it's nothing to me, I just want to always reassure her that she will never have to worry about a thing when she's with me."

"So you're looking at engagement rings and thinking about spending the rest of your life with her, I guess it's safe to ask when do you plan on popping the question?"

"I want to do it on our anniversary but first I have to ask her dad if it's okay that I marry her."

"I'm sure by now he doesn't mind. He practically already gave her away to you to travel all the way to the states and he has put his full trust and confidence in you."

"I know, but I want to do it the right way. I'm willing to respect her culture in how things are done and I'll do whatever it takes to marry her."

"And have you told them about the family?" She asked as he sighed

"No, and I don't think I will. Before you jump on me, let me explain. Where they're from, the mafia doesn't exist and anyone in the area or surrounding area that has money or high status is considered good, no matter what it is they do. Even if it's a corrupt government official, it's good because at least now the woman can be able to send money, or possibly be able to uplift the village.
I didn't know this before I met her parents and I honestly didn't get the vibe that they were pleased about me being rich, however looking back I can say had it been anyone else he wouldn't have been so open and Sarai traveling to the States would definitely be out of the question."

"So you won't at least make an attempt to explain the history of our family?"

"I may just leave out all the violent stuff if I do chose to tell them. I think personally as long as Sarai understands and is okay with it, that's all that matters. Plus I'm gonna keep her away from that stuff so all she'll know is that she carries a powerful name."

"I understand where you're coming from and your idea of protecting Sarai and her parents but just some advice, don't start off the marriage with a lie. I realize the cultural differences and in their eyes you're a saint because let's be honest here, you look like a white man with lots of money that is in love with their daughter and he will gladly give her up to you but don't take advantage of them. Be honest, you don't have to tell them every detail but at least let them hear it from you."

"Yes ma'am. You think Sarai would really enjoy being my wife?"

"Of course, she's obviously in love with you, as you are in love with her, why assume otherwise?"

"America is drastically different from her village in Zambia, and Sarai's very self conscious and easily influenced in some regards and I don't want her to feel that she has to change her beliefs just to fit in or make me happy."

"What have you done to show her it's okay to be herself and not conform to be like everyone else?"

"I always make sure to compliment her when she wears her hijab, I let her decorate the bedroom and living room to make her feel like at home, I let her do all the grocery shopping and she cooks whatever she wants, when we go out in public I'm always holding her hand, giving her kisses and saying that she's beautiful."

"Do you feel your actions outweighs your words?"

"I think so, I show more physical love than I verbally say it."