Chapter 143: Coffee Break

AMELIA

We walk inside the café and Dodger's nose immediately lifts in the air, smelling the place curiously, undoubtedly taking in the mixed smell of coffee and pastries. 

Chris keeps his sunglasses and his cap on as we walk up to the register, and my free hand quickly finds his, entwining our fingers, as the other holds on to Dodgers leash. 

We reach the counter and I browse it quickly as Dodger dutifully takes a seat next to me, looking up at Chris and I expectantly. 

"You want some food?" I murmur, scanning the glass counter with different variations of cakes and pastries, "Or just coffee?"

Chris' thumb rubs mine soothingly as he keeps our fingers firmly locked together, "Hmm, maybe just coffee. I'm not that hungry right now.." But then he turns towards me, and I can practically see the frown forming on his face, "Did you eat, bug? Because you often forget when you're working." 

I smile sheepishly, looking up at him as I lean my cheek on his shoulder, "Uh, I had some breakfast, but-" 

"Knew it," Chris groans in annoyance, his fingers giving mine a squeeze, "I can't have you walking around with no food in you, it's not healthy. It makes me worry for you when I'm not around, you know. I'm going to have to start checking in on you." 

I pout a little up at him, sending him my puppy-dog eyes to make him forgive me, and it seemingly works when he leans in to place a gentle kiss on my forehead, murmuring, "You'll be the death of me." 

I giggle softly, leaning up on my tiptoes to place a quick kiss on his lips before he can turn back to look at the counter, "I'll do better, I promise. I don't want you dying on me." 

Chris chuckles as he looks back at the counter, "In the mood for something? Or you want me to pick for you?"

My brows furrow as I look over my options, quickly noticing a blueberry muffin as well as a cherry-filled danish that looks absolutely delicious. 

I lean a little closer to Chris as I whisper, "Hmm, either the blueberry muffin or that danish, it looks really good." 

Chris hums and nods, "Yeah, it does look-" 

"Hi guys, how can I help you today?"

My eyes flick to the cheerful guy who has appeared behind the counter, no older than 18, with blonde hair and sun-kissed skin. He's smiling widely at the both of us, eyes flitting to Dodger momentarily before he says, "Cute dog! We love to get furry visitors. What's their name?"

I chuckle at his happy expression, offering the young guy a wide smile, "His name is Dodger. It's really nice that you guys allow dogs in here." 

"Of course," the young guy chimes, pressing on the register before he looks back at the both of us, "We even have a dog mascot as well. We like to joke that he works here, he helps clean the floors in the evening." 

I laugh at his joke, and Chris chuckles as well, giving my fingers a gentle squeeze. 

"So, what can I do for you today?" The guy behind the register asks as he looks between the two of us. 

"One black coffee and a latte on oatmilk," Chris replies politely, "And do you have any of those home-made dog treats? I've been here before, sometimes you have them." 

"We do," the guy says with a smile, "How many would you like?"

"Five please," Chris smiles, "He really loves those things, I don't know what you put in them, but he goes crazy." 

The guy laughs and nods, "Yeah, we hear that a lot. I'll get those sorted for you. Anything else?"

I look over at Chris when he says, "Yeah, can we have a blueberry muffin and a cherry danish too, please?" 

"Sure," the employee replies, "Will you be eating here or taking it to go?" 

I glance up at Chris at the question, who looks at me with a small shrug. I mirror it, glancing around before I nod, making him turn back to the guy behind the register, "We'll stay here, thanks." 

"Great," the guy replies, tapping on the register before he looks up at us with a smile, "You can pick any free table you'd like, and we'll bring out your order." He tells us the total and before I can even react, Chris has his card out and is paying. I glance around the place before I spot a table in the corner, smiling down at Dodger as I say, "Come on, bud. Let's have a seat." 

Dodger trots along as I walk over to the corner table, and Chris quickly follows us once he's paid. I slide in to the seat as Dodger lies down beside the table, and Chris takes a seat opposite of me. 

"Thank you for paying, baby."

Chris scoffs quietly, smirking at me, "Of course. It's the least I can do."  

I chuckle at his words, "Oh yeah?" 

"Yeah," he grins, "You put up with me, the least I can do is pay for your food once in a while." 

I giggle and shake my head, rolling my eyes jokingly, "You're real funny." I glance around the place, smiling as I look back at Chris, "This place is nice. How did you find it?" 

"Seb recommended it," he chuckles, leaning down to scratch the top of Dodger's head, "I'm not entirely sure how he found it, but he loves walking around the cities wherever we go, so I'm sure that's how. I've been coming here whenever we're in the city, at least a couple of times. Especially if I've brought Dodge with me. And they're really nice. If the staff recognizes me, they've never mentioned it, which I appreciate." 

I hum and nod, tilting my head as I smile at him. The cap is pulled low on his head, and the sunglasses shield me from those beautiful blues that make me melt. 

I reach my hand across the table, and he takes it immediately, his fingers brushing over mine soothingly, "I know you like your disguise because it gives you a level of anonymity, but I hate it." 

Chris chuckles, a teasing smile forming on his lips, "Oh? Why do you hate it?"

"I miss your eyes," I pout dramatically, leaning a little on the table to try and peek from under the dark glasses, "They're so pretty. It's not fair to keep them from me." 

Chris laughs and shakes his head at me, immediately reaching up to brush a strand of hair behind my ear, "You're such a dork, you know that?"

I huff and frown, trying to keep my laugh at bay, "How rude. You're a dork too." 

"I know," he chuckles, "That's what makes us such a good match." 

I can't hold off my smile at that, my cheeks heating up a little, "You're right, we are." 

He beams at me, pulling my hand up to his lips to place a few quick kisses on my knuckles, and right as he puts it back down, we're interrupted. 

"Here you go, guys," the employee says with a smile, placing two plates on our table, "Your coffees will be ready in a second." 

"Thank you," I say with a wide smile, before he walks back to the register. 

I look over at Chris, "They're really nice here." 

He hums and nods, reaching for the blueberry muffin, "Yeah, I've only had good experiences here, and that actually says a lot. It doesn't happen very often." 

I smile sadly as I watch him pull the wrapper down on the muffin, and break it into two pieces before placing it back on the plate, sliding it towards me, "There you go." 

I snort, breaking apart some of the muffin to take a bite before I say, "I'm not a toddler, I could have done that myself, you know." 

Chris scoffs and chuckles, "I know you're not a toddler. I just like doing it. I won't do it next time, if you don't like it." 

"No no," I chime, smiling teasingly as I take another bite of muffin, "I'm okay with it." 

"Good." 

✦✧✦✧

Liked this chapter? Please remember to vote and comment! ♡