Chapter 23: Scared

AMELIA

As soon as he leaves my room, I crumble to the floor. 

I pull my knees to my chest and wrap my arms around them, dropping my head as I let the tears flow freely. 

I can't believe this. 

This is so much worse than anything I ever imagined. 

I had so many worries about the situation I was in, but not even my worst fears can match this. 

I cry on the floor, my arms wrapped around myself as I sob. 

I understand his reasoning but it doesn't change this feeling inside. 

This crushing, deafening feeling of being lied to. Deceived. 

And the fact that Taylor took part in it makes me want to leave and never come back. 

It makes me want to crawl into a deep dark place and never come out. 

It makes me want to hide away, it makes me want to never be reminded of this again. 

It makes me want to run away. 

Taylor has never lied to me before. 

Or at least, I thought he hadn't. 

My heart feels broken, empty, as I finally get myself off the floor. I wipe my tears away, choking a bit on my sobs as I try to calm myself down. 

I would never have thought it could come to this. 

I knew there was a risk of getting my heart broken but this feels so much worse. 

None of it was real. 

It was all a lie. 

And I don't even know why. 

I know what he said, but I don't believe him. I can't. 

It can't be real, it doesn't make any sense. 

Why would it be real? Why would he want me? No matter how I try to process it, it doesn't make sense, it doesn't seem plausible. Either way it definitely seems too good to be true and when something seems too good to be true, it's usually because it is. 

It usually means that whatever fleeting comfort or happiness it gives you, it always disappears just as easily as it came. So even if just some of what he told me is true, even if he believes it all himself, it's only fleeting. It will disappear and fade as quickly as it came and then what?

I'll be left here with nothing but this pain inside. 

When I hear an urgent knocking on my door I know who it is. And I don't want to see him. 

"Ames, open up!" 

I shake my head, not saying a word as I look towards the door. 

"Ames, please! I spoke to Chris. Please, let me in." 

"Go away Taylor!" I yell, my voice broken and weak from crying so much. 

"Oh Ames, please. Talk to me. Please, I didn't think this was going to happen, you have to believe me. Please just let me in." 

"No!" I yell, the tears trailing down my cheeks once again, "Go away!" 

"Amelia please. I love you, just let me in and we can talk about this. It's not what you think, I can explain everything to you." 

"You lied to me!" I scream towards the door and for a moment there's only silence. 

"I know," he says quietly against the door, "I know and I'm sorry. Please just open the door and talk to me." 

I shuffle towards the door, pulling it open harshly, "How could you do that to me?!" 

"Ames, it's not what you think, I swear!" Taylor says as he looks at me. His eyes scan my face and I can see his expression change when he sees the tears trailing down my cheeks. 

He speaks softly, running a hand soothingly through my hair, "I will explain everything to you, okay? Really, no bullshit. I'll tell you everything." 

✦✧✦✧

I'm cradling a cup of tea as Taylor wraps a blanket around me on the couch. He sits down opposite of me on the couch with a deep sigh. 

He rubs his forehead momentarily before looking at me, "Chris told me he explained things to you.." 

"He did," I say, sniffling, "But it doesn't matter. He's a liar. He's already proven that. I can't trust anything he says." 

"Yes you can," Taylor says, taking the cup of tea out of my hands and placing it on the table before gently holding both of my hands in his own, "I promise, you can. That man is crazy about you." 

I scoff, "That's ridiculous. This whole thing is ridiculous! I don't even know him!" 

I pull one hand out of his grasp, wiping my cheek angrily from the wetness apparently permanently on there now. 

Taylor sighs again, "Ames, you do. They're the same person." 

"No they're not! One is a liar and the other was my.. My.." I trail off as I realize I have no idea how to define it. All I know is that it felt good. 

Taylor nods, "Yes honey, but they're the same person. Don't you understand? Chris is the one you've been talking to this whole time." 

"No," I shake my head, refusing to believe it, "No, it doesn't make any sense. Where would he even get the time?! He probably had some assistant doing it for him half the time to trick me." 

"Amelia," Taylor says sternly, making me look at him, "Stop being ridiculous. I'm telling you, it's him. Stop kidding yourself like this. You're only doing it because you're scared." 

"I'm not scared," I mumble. 

"Yes you are! Jesus christ, you finally find someone you actually care about and now you're pushing him away because it's too good to be true. That's it, isn't it? You haven't felt anything for anyone in years, you don't even know how to deal with it now." 

I wince a little at his words, looking down sadly. 

Taylor takes a deep breath, his tone softer now, "I know it's scary. And I know it's fucking crazy. And if you don't want anything to do with him because he lied, I understand. But just know that he does have feelings for you. Real ones. And he really wants to explore them with you. So if even just a small part of you feels the same, then please don't push him away. Please let him in." 

✦✧✦✧

Liked this chapter? Please remember to vote and comment! ♡