Chapter 39: Anxiety

AMELIA

I was right. It was a long day. The sun sets before they finally finish filming. 

Pierre and I are waiting for Taylor to change out of his costume while we stand around on the lot. The evening air is cool and comforting, and I relish in it a little, my body seemingly permanently overheating as it slowly adjusts to the Atlanta heat. 

Taylor finally walks out of the building and towards us, changed out of costume, and as he approaches us he asks, "So, what are we doing for dinner?" 

I shrug in response while Pierre replies something about what he's in the mood for, and I just nod in agreement.

Then he glances behind me and quietly says, "Ames, heads up." 

I turn around and then a wide smile works its way onto my face when I spot Chris walking towards us. 

He's in jeans and a t-shirt, and while he looks tired, he's still smiling softly at me as he walks up, "Hey. What's up?" 

"Nothing much," I reply, smiling up at him, "Just figuring out what we're gonna do for dinner." 

"I'm taking them out," Taylor quickly adds, and then I see Chris glance at him, his eyes darting to me for a moment before turning back to him. 

"Both of them?" 

Taylor chuckles and nods, "Yeah, both of them." 

Chris looks back at me, taking a small step closer before he quietly says, "I was hoping to spend some time with you.." 

I grin at Chris before quickly turning to Taylor, "Sorry T, I've got plans." 

Taylor's brows furrow at me, "But we just-" 

"She has plans, Taylor," Chris says, mirroring my grin while we both look at Taylor.

Taylor shakes his head, a chuckle leaving his lips, "Fine. Then you can be in charge of taking care of her." 

"Gladly," Chris replies with a wide smile, his hand making its way onto the small of my back. 

"Can she drive with you?" 

Chris nods, "Yeah, no problem. You guys go ahead and have dinner." 

"And what will you two be doing?" Pierre asks with a teasing smile. 

I glare at him, "Shush, you troublemaker." 

That makes Pierre and I laugh, and then Chris clears his throat, "We-uh, we'll just have dinner at the hotel. I can't really.. Go anywhere.. Without, you know..." 

He trails off, hesitating, which makes me look up at him again. 

When he looks at me apologetically I smile reassuringly, whispering, "That's fine. I like when it's just the two of us anyway." 

He smiles softly at me but then it fades when I quickly add, "But I'm choosing the movie this time."

Chris sighs dramatically, "Fine, you can choose. But it better be something good." 

"Oh it will be. Much better than what you would have chosen, anyway." 

"Brat," Chris murmurs immediately, and it makes me laugh out loud. 

"God, you guys are disgustingly cute. We're definitely leaving now," Taylor says, his face scrunched up jokingly, "Can't stand watching this any longer." 

I turn towards him with a chuckle, "Fine by me! See you later!" I stick my tongue out at him which makes him laugh, before both him and Pierre hug me goodbye, "See you later Ames." 

They walk off and when I turn back to Chris, he's still smiling. 

"My car is right over there," he says as he gestures to an SUV parked a little away, "You sure you're fine with just staying in?" 

"You must not know me very well," I chirp, "Staying in is my favorite thing to do." 

Chris chuckles, "Actually, I do, and I was kinda expecting you to say that." 

"Good!" I exclaim, grinning up at him, "Lead the way, Evans." 

✦✧✦✧

We get into Chris' car and as soon as we're both buckled up, his hand slides over, gently taking mine and lacing our fingers. 

I smile shyly up at him and he offers me a soft smile back before the car starts driving off the lot. 

We drive through it and towards the exit. 

"What the hell?" I mumble when we arrive at the check out point and I notice a horde of people standing on the other side of it. 

I've never seen this many people huddled around any of the times I've driven back with Taylor.

"What's going on?" I ask as I look out of the tinted windows. I can tell none of the people on the other side can see me, but I can clearly see them. 

When I suddenly see them run up closer to the car, and hear them shouting different variations of 'Chris', 'Christopher' and even 'Captain America', my eyes widen slightly. 

I feel Chris' hand squeezing mine gently and I get a nagging feeling in my stomach as we drive through the crowd of people. 

Once we're past them, and out on the open road, Chris releases a heavy breath. 

I look at him hesitantly as I whisper, "Is it always like that?" 

Chris shakes his head a little, "Not always. It depends.. When we're working on the movies, and they know where the set is, then it usually is. But it's less when I'm back home.." 

"In Boston?" 

He nods, "Yeah. LA is not as bad, people wise, but the paparazzi makes up for it. But in Boston I'm usually left alone. For the most part, at least.." 

I furrow my brows and look down at our joined hands as I mumble, "That's crazy." 

Chris hums as he follows my gaze and then his thumb rubs the back of my hand soothingly, "You get used to it. Sort of." 

I look up at him, "So that's what you meant when you said you couldn't go out. I mean, I kinda figured, but I didn't realize it was like that." 

He smiles softly, "Not a lot of people do." 

I glance out of his window, looking past him as we drive down the road. My smile fades slowly as I let his words sink in before I whisper, "I would be terrified.." 

He smiles softly, "I used to be. Anxiety and crowds of people don't really mix well." 

That makes me look back at him, "Anxiety?" 

He shrugs, "Yeah, I get anxiety attacks. Used to be a lot more often but I've learned to tame them. Mostly.."

I nod, realization washing over me, "That's why you were so good at calming me down when I had that panic attack." 

His smile widens, "Yeah. I even told you that I have them all the time. You don't remember?" 

I smile shyly, my cheeks heating up a little as I murmur, "Uhm, no, I don't think so.. Got a little distracted.." 

"By what?" 

"Your face," I whisper as I look up at him, and it makes him chuckle, his fingers squeezing mine comfortingly. 

"Your face is distracting too," he then says as he leans closer, placing a gentle kiss on my forehead. 

✦✧✦✧

Liked this chapter? Please remember to vote and comment! ♡