Chapter 77: Morning Sun

AMELIA

The sun creeping through my beige curtains wakes me up as it bathes my entire bedroom in the morning light. 

I'm used to waking up like this - I picked lighter curtains because I prefer being woken up by the sun rather than my alarm clock, and ever since I started studying law, I've had to get up early.

But not nearly as early as the exhausted man sleeping next to me right now, sometimes has to. 

The orange-yellow glow of the morning sun covers everything in my room, but more than anything, it covers the large hunk of a man taking up half of my bed as he sleeps peacefully. 

I will never get tired of waking up next to him. 

I can hear Chris snoring lightly, the sound bringing a smile to my face as I snuggle up closer to him. 

His back is towards me - a rather unusual sight to wake up to, but then again, I never used to wake up before him in Atlanta so perhaps this is actually the norm and I just never noticed. 

He's worked hard this entire week and then jumped straight on a flight to come see me yesterday, so I'm not even a little bit surprised that he's more tired than I am right now. 

My hand snakes over his waist as I press my chest against his back, one leg hooking over his thigh to keep me flush against him. 

His warmth seeps into me, practically warming up my bones as I run my palm slowly over his stomach and chest, not intending to wake him up, just intending to feel him. 

It may have been less than a week since I saw him but there's no denying how much I've missed him during the time we've been apart. 

Yes - phone calls, video calls and text messages helped keep it at bay, but having him right in front of me now, I'm unable to hold back just how much I've needed him. 

I need to feel him, smell him, envelop myself around him because it's just my natural urge. 

He's impossible to resist and if anyone told me otherwise, I wouldn't believe them. 

I slide my hand over his chest hair until it finds a comfortable spot on one of his pecks, the soft feeling of relaxed muscle under my fingertips makes me smile as I press a gentle kiss to the back of his shoulder. 

He mumbles inaudibly in his sleep, a quiet noise as his face nuzzles into the pillow more, his cheek rubbing against it, and the action almost makes my heart burst.

How is it possible that a grown fucking man could ever be this cute?

My hand gently slides down from his chest, over his side and up his back until I can reach his hair. I run my fingers through the soft strands as I stay pressed against him. 

My fingers trail back down, over the soft muscles of his shoulder and arm, before moving back onto his strong chest. 

He feels so good, even the feeling of his smooth skin is sending a fire through me. I can't contain or control myself when I wrap myself around him more. 

I inhale deeply, my face pressed into the nape of his neck, and I almost drown in the warm and comforting smell of him, letting it slowly take over my entire being. 

Just as I'm wondering how on earth I was able to withstand almost a week without him, I hear him mumbling softly. 

"Good morning."

I smile against his skin, craning to place a few soft kisses on his neck as I murmur, "Good morning." 

He hums, his hand reaching up to take mine that's placed on his chest as he says, "Mmh, how'd you sleep baby?"