Chapter 7: Call Me

AMELIA

Today was a great day. After I got word from the shelter this morning that they received an anonymous donation, I went to finals in high spirit.

I don't know for sure how I did yet but I definitely feel confident about it.

As I'm eating dinner I get a notification from instagram.

@81CRE Had a better day today?

@AmeliaJ Yeah, actually! I found out someone made an anonymous donation to the shelter I was trying to help. The animals are safe! For now at least. And I had finals today so now I can finally relax.

@81CRE Great to hear. How did finals go?

@AmeliaJ It was a challenge but I feel confident!

@AmeliaJ How was your day?

@81CRE Great. Had a lot of fun today.

@81CRE I'm happy your mood is finally picking up.

@AmeliaJ You're very sweet for a stranger, I'll give you that

@81CRE Thanks, appreciate it. Hopefully I won't keep being a stranger

@AmeliaJ I mean, that depends. Telling me your name and showing me a picture would definitely help on that part

@81CRE Haha, yeah I guess you're right

@AmeliaJ So? When?

@81CRE Once I know I can trust you.

@AmeliaJ Why would you think you can't trust me?

@81CRE I have my reasons.

@AmeliaJ Alright.. Well then......

@81CRE How do I know you wouldn't drop our friendship once you knew me?

@AmeliaJ I didn't know we were friends already..

@81CRE Maybe not

I put my phone down after that. This stranger is acting weird and distancing myself might be the best option.

As I go to bed I check my messages hoping to see a text from them, although I'm not sure why.

To my surprise, I have a notification.

@81CRE Sorry for seeming like a dick. I'm just a very private person.

@AmeliaJ Yeah I kinda got that. You married or something?

@81CRE Haha, no. Definitely not.  It's just... my life. The work I'm in. I need to be careful.

@AmeliaJ What, are you in the military or something?

@81CRE Something like that. Listen, it's nothing personal. I'm just.. private

@AmeliaJ Alright, but you texted me, so you could understand why I'm confused about all of this, right?

@81CRE Of course. I would love to tell you more about myself, but instagram is not the place.

@AmeliaJ Where then?

@81CRE Well, face to face would be easiest

@AmeliaJ Dude

@AmeliaJ I don't know you. You could be a serial killer or something

@81CRE Haha, yeah okay, I get the predicament

As I'm contemplating my reply he texts again.

@81CRE Talking on the phone could also be an option, if you'd be into that sort of thing..