Chapter 83: Embarrassed

AMELIA

My dad gestures to the round garden table set up on the lawn, four chairs around it. 

He and my mother walk ahead of us, and once they're out of ear shot, I whisper, "You doing okay?" 

"Yeah," Chris replies with a nod as we slowly approach the table, "Yeah, I'm doing great." 

"Okay, good," I say with a smile, keeping his fingers firmly entwined with mine, "I think my mom loves you already."

He chuckles, "Yeah? I hope so, I want them both to like me." 

"My dad will love you too, don't worry so much. Just be your amazing, charming self and you'll be fine," I say as I grin up at him.

His smile widens before he quickly dips down, planting his lips on mine for a short kiss before we walk the rest of the way over to where my parents are now sitting by the table. 

Chris keeps my hand in his as we sit down, close next to each other, and my father slides a beer across the table for each of us. 

I quickly grab mine, popping the lid off effortlessly with my keys, before taking a sip. 

When I feel Chris' eyes on me, I glance at him, "What?" 

He gives me an impressed nod before opening his own beer, "Oh, nothing. Just didn't know you liked beer." 

I laugh, before taking another sip, "I love beer! Maybe you just don't know because you didn't ask." 

I nudge his shoulder and he chuckles, mumbling out a my bad. Then he takes a sip of his own beer, humming at the taste before he says to my father, "This is excellent. Thank you." 

My father nods, "You're welcome." Then he glances between the two of us as he says, "So, Christopher, tell me a little more about yourself. How did you two meet?" 

My father glances at me quickly before locking his gaze on Chris. 

I immediately furrow my brows, realizing that I don't actually have a normal way of explaining how me met.

But luckily Chris is quick on his feet, when he casually replies, "Please, Chris is fine. And we actually met through work." 

Through work. 

He's fucking brilliant. 

"Really?" My dad asks, glancing at my mom before looking back at us, "That's nice. You look a little older than Ames so you must be working above her, I'm guessing." 

My brows furrow at his response. I guess you could say that.. On top, at least....

"I am older," Chris replies with a casual smile, "I'm 40. And we don't actually work together, but we did meet through my work." 

"Oh, your work is connected to the district attorney?" My mom asks happily, taking a sip of the glass of wine in her hand. 

"Uhm, well, no," Chris hesitates and I quickly say, "We met at his job, mom, not mine. We met in Atlanta." 

"Atlanta?" My mom asks, "So you live in Atlanta?" 

God damn it, this is going fucking terrible. 

I glance hesitantly at Chris and he meets my eyes, a pleading look on his face. 

I take a deep breath to calm my nerves before I quickly say, "No, Chris doesn't live in Atlanta, he actually lives part time in Boston and part time in LA. He was in Atlanta because he travels a lot for work."