Chapter 40: Ass Man

AMELIA

I feel relieved when we finally make it back to the hotel. 

That experience at the lot was intimidating. I can't believe his life is like this. 

If you start dating him publicly your life will be like that too.

I shake off the thought as we ride up the elevator, Chris' hand in mine again after only briefly releasing it when we walked through the hotel reception. 

"Do you want to go to my room or yours?" 

I hear Chris speak and the distraction from my thoughts is more than welcome. 

"You said I have a better bed so you tell me," I reply, my lips lifting in a smirk when I look up at him. 

I spot his cheeks turning the faintest shade of pink, his response a quiet mumble, "Yeah, but that could also have something to do with you being in it.. But.. Uhm.." He hesitates, running his teeth over his bottom lip before speaking again, "Does that mean this is going to be a sleepover?" 

I want to giggle at his shy demeanor right now, but instead I shrug casually as I smile, "Hmm, I don't know.. Do you want it to be a sleepover?"

"Yes," he breathes out immediately and that actually makes me giggle out loud. 

"Okay, sleepover it is." 

Chris looks at me in surprise before the smile creeps back on his face, "Should I go get my PJ's and teddy bear, then?"

I nod, "Oh definitely. Can't have a sleepover party without your PJ's. Or stuffed animals." 

He laughs at that, and when the elevator doors open we walk down the hall, his fingers still laced with mine. 

When we reach my room he stops and kisses my knuckles before saying, "Give me five minutes and I'll be right there." 

"Okay, see you soon." I lean up on my tiptoes and place a quick kiss on his cheek, making his smile widen. 

He turns down the hall and walks toward his room as I let myself in to mine. 

I quickly get changed into yoga pants and a top before I hear the knock on my door, making me run back to open it. 

I grin at Chris as I open the door and he mirrors it, holding up a bag of toiletries, "Brought my toothbrush." 

"Good boy. It's important to take care of your teeth." 

He chuckles as he walks inside, "My dad would like you." 

I snort, closing the door behind him, "Why do you say that?"

"He's a dentist." 

I chuckle, jokingly replying, "Oh, well, tell him that I care about your teeth so he'll like me, then."

"Will do," he murmurs, and when he makes his way into my bedroom to put his stuff down I hear him faintly adding, "He'll like you anyway, though." 

His words make me smile as I make my way over to the couch, grabbing the remote after I plop down on it. 

When Chris comes back he sighs, "Damn it, I thought I could claim it before you did." 

"Keep dreaming, Evans. I'm picking the movie tonight, I already told you." 

He huffs as he takes a seat next to me, moving himself close to me to wrap an arm over my shoulders, "But you have awful taste." 

"Hey!" I exclaim as I quickly turn to him, "You don't know my taste because so far, you've picked the movies!"