Chapter 62

James and I woke up really early. The clock read 8.30 am when we got into the shower. The day was gloomy and humid, but it was not raining. We put some warm clothes and head it to the kitchen and James helped me making breakfast. I left coffee ready for when my parents would wake up, and Disco was already running around our legs franticly like he always did when he smelled food.

"No way, buddy. " James spoke to him. "Your food is in your mug." James said, shaking his head to the dog. Disco barked at him. "No. This is not healthy for you." He was very strict concerning the dog's education.

I took a bit of my eggs under the table and felt Disco's mouth catching it. He came back to James feet licking himself. I saw James watching the dog and then he looked at me and narrowed his eyes.

"Lea..." He said rather serious.

"What?" I played the innocent. "I haven't done anything." James didn't buy it though. Far from that...

"Right. Our food is not good for him." He lectured me. "I try to educate him and you spoil him." He told me.

"Says the one who tried so hard to put him to sleep outside and he hasn't slept once in there." I teased him. "Or maybe once and that was it."

James chuckled there. "That's different." He argued. He always had to have the last word.

"How different?" I still asked.

"He's still a puppy, and it's cold. He'll get used to it when he grows up." James said.

"He likes to be there during the day." I said. "He just knows you open the door if he yelps. You spoil him too, mister." I made my point.

James ignored my last remark and taped Disco's head. He liked the dog a lot, but then he pretended he was really tough with him when in fact he was as tender as I was. James adored the puppy.

"Let's go for a walk at the beach with him." James proposed, getting up.

"You go ahead." I said. "I'll just finish cleaning the kitchen and then I'll join you."

"Ok." He kissed my lips.

James called Disco and I watched them walking away. I smiled as I saw Disco attacking James's feet and James muttering. After a while, he started running and Disco followed him barking. I went back to my errands when I could no longer see them. I joined them after half an hour. My parents were still sleeping or at least they were still in the bedroom. Disco ran towards me when he saw me coming down. I crouched and I held him in my arms and caressed his fur.

"Are you happy boy?" I talked to the dog while I was getting close to James.

James threw him his ball and Disco started trying to escape from my arms, he knew now how to play catch. Even if he still tried to get away with the ball now and then. I wrapped my arms around James's waist while we were watching Disco running after the ball.

"I think you threw it too far; he'll get tired too soon." I said.

"I know." He replied. "That way he'll leave us alone the rest of the day."

I laughed, but he had some point. Disco could be tiring. He was always chewing on something or attacking our feet or asking for attention. When James played with him, he would sleep great part of the day. I understand what he does now. James kept on throwing Disco the ball and while he was running to catch it, we would cuddle. Then, we threw the ball at each other with Disco running back and forward trying to catch it, our laughs were echoing at the beach.

"Are your parents still sleeping, Lea?" James asked.

"I guess so; at least they were when I left the house." I told him.