Chapter 15

I woke up first that morning and after blinking a few times until I could keep my eyes opened and raise my arms above my head to stretch my body, I turned around to find James sleeping peacefully by my side. I froze in that moment and I stayed there watching him sleep and hearing him breathing low and deeply. Not containing my will to touch him, I ventured to pull his hair away from his face gently, and then run the tip of my fingers softly over his cheek, and tears invaded my eyes when it came to my mind that he was leaving in a few hours. Not fighting my will to cry, I let my sad tears fall down my face freely. Was it stupid that I was crying for a man I had just met? Yes. But if I just felt like it, why hold it back? How could have he made such a difference in my life in such little time? James had walked into my life in a rampant and changed everything. Our lives changed that day in the elevator.

As my hand caressed his face, James opened his eyes. For a moment, his blue glare just stared at me, but then he stretched out his hands and wiped the tears off my face. After, he pulled me close against his chest and held me tight, not saying a word. I wrapped my arms around him and buried my face in his chest, and we stayed like that until I finally calmed down and let go of his arms. We didn't share a word. That had to be the most powerless feeling I had felt until then and at the same time the most intense moment I had shared with someone until then too. Though, the most powerless feeling of all was yet to come but we were both so oblivious to that, especially me, and the most intense too... we would have many of those too. But back then, it was all new and stupidly powerful.

"We have to get going." I said, looking at him and cleaning my eyes at the same time. "It's getting a bit late."

"We do. This is so hard." He said rubbing his face with his hands. He too looked sad and distressed. I was not alone in that feeling. "I don't wanna go..." He fought it hard. "I don't want to leave you, Lea..."

"I know, but we need to be strong." I kissed his lips, gathering some strength from within. "Time is fast..."

"It isn't fast enough..." He breathed, pecking my lips after.

"I can't believe this is happening." I closed my eyes for a few seconds as his hands got hold of my face.

"Lea..." James called me and I opened my eyes to look in his blue ones. "I am serious about us." He assured me and I nodded.

"I am too." I replied. "I mean every single thing I tell you."

"I do too." He vowed. "I will be waiting for you."

"Let's have a shower." I proposed but knowing these would be the last moments near him. The clock was ticking and not in our favor.

"Yeah." James nodded and we got out of the bed right after.

We showered quickly and put on the same clothes we had the day before as we didn't bring any with us. Then, we left. We got in the car and I drove back to the hotel, stopping just to have a quick breakfast in a bar by the beach. Again, we went through all details of how we had to do to keep in touch and swore once again how serious we were about one another. At the hotel, I helped him pack his stuff and faster than we though, it was time for him to go. It had been so fast... too fast...

"It's time..." I said looking in his eyes and feeling my heart break into a million tiny pieces.

My heart was beating so fast. I could not even believe in it. James took a hand to one of his fingers and pulled out a ring. Then, he grabbed my hand and looked in my eyes.

"I want you to keep this." He said, putting a ring with a skull in my palm and then closing my fingers around it. "This was Cliff's ring." He explained. "It's one of the most precious things I have. I want you to keep it. This way you have a piece of me with you."