Chapter 52

The next weeks were just a rush. We did everything in a hurry. I had work. I had my stuff to pack and send to San Francisco. I packed most of my stuff in boxes and this company was carrying my stuff all across the country to deliver it at James's apartment. There were my books, my paintings, my cd's, some furniture, the TV, the stereo. There was a lot of stuff and I even selected some for donation. One can hoard so much stuff in a couple of months, it's just unbelievable.

I also went to the hospital where I volunteered. I wanted to say my goodbyes to everyone in there that had made my time in New York more valuable than ever. When I thought I was going to die of love, they were the ones showing me other type of love. A survival type of love that helped me to go through my love for James. I was going to miss them terribly. I also visited Mrs. Smith. I was so glad to know that she was doing fine and healing. James went there alone later to pay for the bill for I didn't even have time to do that.

Most of my clothes were packed too and ready to go. I just left the essential until we'd leave. My apartment was almost empty with just the furniture that was already there when I arrived. Part of me was sad that I was leaving it, for I was getting used to it but I was anxious to start another chapter in my life. This chapter being the one I was waiting for the past four years. Meanwhile, I decided to apply for the medical school but I decided to wait until I deliver my application to tell James. He was right... that was something I would like to do. Skylar told me she would help me studying since she was having more time off due to the pregnancy. She was having a baby boy. I was anxious to see her. In fact, I was anxious to see everyone. I missed them all. At the same time, I was sad I was leaving Lil. She was having a baby girl that she wanted to call Rita and I liked the name a lot. Lil and I had never been separated, so it was an intense time for us.

We still hadn't convinced Gary to move to California. He was not sure about taking such a risk, even though we all told him it would be good. Claire stopped teasing me about my relationship with James after the Bon Jovi presentation. The press released every photo possibly taken of me and him. They brought back the photos from 1993 and the ones of the MTV Awards. They brought up the whole story, but fortunately for us not in a bad way. They did it in a very romantic way. We laughed at some of the news. We could tell they didn't have a clue of what we've been through. They didn't know anything about us or about how it started. The press was clueless, but hungry for some story that would sell.

Just like I had imagined, Lars and Kirk teased James with jokes about Bon Jovi but congratulated me for my role in the video. At least they had something positive to say. James couldn't see it that way and asked me not to do anything like it again. He can be stubborn. I don't know anyone like him until today. How to explain to him that it was just a job? Well, I guess I wouldn't like him to kiss a woman in one of his videos either, so part of me understood his point. Nevertheless, I was going to have a photo session with Mark, my ex, in a couple of weeks. Thankfully, we would be shooting in San Francisco and I didn't have to travel but I bet James was not going to be too happy about the idea. I'd have to wait for the proper time to tell him. I would have to tell him gently, because James was not just jealous. He was insecure and that made things very problematic when there was no problem at all.

And in the middle of all this chaos, the day to leave to San Francisco arrived and I had to say goodbye to my life in New York for good. It had been short, but many things happened in there. I looked around before I closed the door to my house. I was closing another chapter of my life and beginning a new one. James was downstairs waiting for me with our luggage. I delivered the keys to Dylan and kissed him goodbye. I was almost crying.

"Ready to go?" James asked as he wrapped his arm around me.

I nodded. "I guess..." I said.

"Just guess?" James kissed my cheek and smiled.