Chapter 28

I entered the tent where the party was taking place once again and I walked towards him immediately. James was still sitting on the same chair looking at the floor and holding his head with his hands. I knew he was regretting his little show though still drunk. His posture suggested exactly that and I knew him a little. He was ashamed.

"James..." I called his name when I got close to him. He looked up at the sound of my voice and we stared in each other's eyes for a few seconds. "We better leave this place." I said, giving him my hand to help him stand up. He looked from my eyes to my hand and then back to my eyes, not holding it.

"Is it pity?" He asked first. I shook my head. It wasn't pity. It was the stupid endless love I felt for him. "Because if it is..." He shook his head. He could be so proud. "I don't need your fucking pity..." He ended up saying.

"Come on... let's go." I insisted. "It's not pity..." I said as I realized he wasn't moving. "I promise... it's not..." I said.

"What is it then?" James confronted me and I shrugged.

"Come..." I said instead because the real reason was something I didn't want to share with him.

My hand still extended in his direction. His eyes locked in mine as if searching for a logical explanation other than the one he had come up with. It would be useless to tell him otherwise though. Once he had one thing stuck in his mind, no one would be able to take it out of there. That moment his only logical explanation was pity.

"Let's go." I said more insistently. "Let's get out of here." I told him, hearing more cameras shooting.

"Lea..." He breathed my name, looking so lost.

"We need to leave this place." I said.

He took my hand there. Reluctantly, all doubtful, but he did. I wrapped his arm around my shoulders to give him better support because he could barely stand and walk. He was so drunk... People were obviously looking at us, but I didn't care. I cared about him and not abandoning him there in that state. It would be dangerous if he went out on the streets in that state of numbness. Supporting his weigh with mine, we finally got out of that freaking place for good. A sense of relief attacking me as we reached the street. Clean air to breathe.

"Why did you come back?" He still asked. "If not pity... then why?" I sat him down on the curb for he was unable to stand on his own.

"I couldn't leave you there." I responded, looking at my right side to look for a cab and because I didn't want to look at him too.

"Why?" He insisted. "Lea..." He insisted again at the realization of my silence.

"It doesn't matter." I said, looking at him. "Where's your hotel?" I asked him.

"I don't know." He responded.

"What do you mean you don't know?" I exclaimed really surprised. "Do you know the name?"

"I can't remember." He replied, shaking his head and I rolled my eyes.

Of course, he couldn't remember. His brain was a little numb. I looked for my cell in my purse to call Lars or Kirk as we had just exchanged phone numbers. They would tell me where their hotel was. Nevertheless, Lars's phone was turned off, and so was Kirk's. Just my luck... no one to help me and James almost falling asleep in the middle of the street.

"Don't sleep... come on..." I said, shaking him for if he did, I wouldn't be able to get him out of there. There was no way I could support all his weight by myself.

"I'm not sleeping." He muttered.

"Yes, you are." I said, looking at the street to see if a cab was passing by.