#55: New Year

Happy new year everyone, I just got back from my two-day holiday. I hope you all had a wonderful one as well? I managed to get some writing done coz I didn't have any wifi back in the room I was in :( I hope the length of these make up for my laziness these past few days?

Ashton: "Do I look okay?" You asked your mother once more and she just nodded, with a grin. "You've been asking me that same question since we left sweetie, you look gorgeous. Don't be nervous," she chuckled, shaking her head and patted your father's leg reassuringly. You were heading to your best friend's family dinner, it was New Year's eve and his family wanted to invite you and your family to spend it with them. "I'm not nervous," you folded your arms across your chest and pouted. You weren't nervous, right? But there was just this feeling in your stomach that made you anxious, but you just don't understand why you were. It was only dinner with your best friend and his family, what's the worst that could happen? "Sure you aren't," your father laughed as he glanced at you from the rearview mirror. You played with your fingers as you tried to calm down - okay, maybe you were a little nervous. You weren't sure why you were nervous though, you've been to family dinners so many times now, you were practically used to them. But today was the first time you saw your best friend again after a few months, because he was away to work on his band's album. You missed him like crazy, wanting to see his beautiful face and hearing his wonderful laughter personally, because it just wasn't the same seeing it through a laptop screen and hearing it through the phone - you wanted to see him. You remembered back when you were in year ten, he practically made you spit your milk out when you heard him giggling like a teenage girl. He made you laugh a lot, and his laughter was one of the most contagious ones you've ever heard, making his laughter the best thing you've ever heard. Finally, you made it to their residence, stepping out of your car with a sigh. This was it, you thought, as you made your way up the front porch and knocked on their door. There were muffled voices on the other side, and some footsteps before the door swung open, revealing your best friend, clad in a ponies forever shirt and some skinny jeans, his dimples showing as he smiled down on you. "You made it!" He laughed, pulling you into an embrace. You inhaled his familiar musky scent, smiling as you hugged him back, "I missed you Ash," you mumbled into his chest. For a moment, it felt like you two were the only people in the world and nothing else mattered, which made you smile a little bit. You opened your eyes and listened to his racing heartbeat, it was beating so freaking fast and loud, like a drum. You pulled away and met his beautiful brown eyes, which looked down on you with concern, "You've grown a little bit," he commented, poking your side. You grinned at him, planting your hand on your hip, "You're not the only one who can hut puberty twice, Ashton," Your retort made him giggle, and he finally let you and your family in. You were greeted by his mother and little brother Harry, and then Lauren. Of course, you also entertained them as you saw them like your own family. You were then led into the dining room where you sat across from Ashton, and beside your mum. Dinner wasn't really that interesting though - there were a few stories exchanged by your parents and Anna, but you couldn't really concentrate on what they were saying because Ashton kept kicking your feet from under the table. He'd giggle every once in a while and you'd fight back, kicking him with much more force. Once you were finished with dinner, Ashton led you outside to enjoy some cool air before midnight, you didn't really mind because you loved the evening air. "This feels great," you muttered as you sat down onto the railing, being extremely careful not to lose your balance. You gazed up at the night sky - soon enough, it will be filled with beautiful fireworks as far as the eye could see. You heard him sigh behind you, and you could feel his hot breath on your neck. It sent shivers down your spine, and it made your heartbeat run wild in your chest. You couldn't understand why this has been happening to you, you have never felt this way with him before. A voice inside your head began to scream that you were already started falling for him, but that voice made you question yourself - were you really already starting to fall for your best friends? It seemed like the perfect explanation as to why you were feeling different around him, but you've never actually thought about it. You glanced at his from the corner of your eye, taking in his beautiful profile as you did. You felt your heart beat faster and faster in your chest, which was enough proof to know that you were indeed falling in love with your best friend. Maybe it was because he was handsome, maybe it was because he was talented, maybe it was because he was a sweet and caring person, or maybe it was because you've been together for so long. Regardless of the reason, you managed to fall in love with him without noticing at all. "I can't wait till the new year," you heard him say, and you glanced towards him with a smile. "You don't really have to wait that long," you replied, hearing the people in the neighborhood chanting the countdown. You got down from the railing, standing beside Ashton this time and you laced your fingers in his. You felt your heartbeat race once again, but paid it no mind - all that matters now is you and him. You watched as fireworks painted the beautiful night sky, and you felt him tug at your hand. "Happy new year, Y/N. I've always wanted to do this," he whispered as he dipped his head to capture your lips with his. You smiled, kissing him back with the same amount of force, your hand making it's way to his neck to pull him even closer. This was a great way to end the year, and start a brand new one, you thought, getting lost in the sensation of having his lips on yours.