139. Preparing for change (Volturi x young!Reader)

https://like-rain-or-confetti.tumblr.com/

By law, they couldn't wait any longer. You needed to be changed. You were frightened, being so young. You weren't sure you'd want to be stuck at this age. So you went to your best friend, Alec.

"It is." Alec said softly. "Its confusing and one of the greatest challenges you could ever face." He sat on his bed the pillows propped up between the headboard and his back. Alec looked over to you and patted the spot beside him. You mirrored him and he surprised you when he wrapped an arm around your shoulders, pulling you into him. You were worried about what he'd say next that he decided physical contact was needed to comfort you. Physical contact was rare when it came to comfort or any kind of affection and so you weren't prepared for what would come next. "When I was changed, I forgot my age and Aro never asked us prior. He was certain we were early teens but nothing more specific. That's entirely down interpretation. To some, I could be fourteen but to others perhaps sixteen. The most likely guess is that I'm twelve or thirteen. However, all could be a possibility. I don't know how old I was when I was changed."
"I'm sure there are ways to narrow that down." You said quietly. "Teenagers go through puberty. We could make a guess."
Alec cracked a smile. "That's all it ever would be- a guess. Why add more guesses to something I'll never know? Anyway, that never bothered me until it had been exactly one hundred years since my change. I had most certainly lived out what was considered at least two or three lifetimes back then. My generation had been and gone. Jane felt it too, a little less than I did, but Aro had to help us. It's very difficult for the young mind to take in a century of information that by normal means, adapts and expands whilst a vampires brain does not."
Alec looked down at you. "I'm sure you've noticed oddities about myself and my sister that you've noticed in comparison to say Demetri and Felix who were changed in their late twenties, possibly early thirties?"
You had noticed. There are brief moments that the twins were completely stubborn, their way or no way. The tantrums they had every now and then as well as the slight teenage angst. You nodded slowly. "You talk older than you are sometimes."
"It's defects, if you like. That's why Jane and I are the youngest. It's why you'll rarely find a vampire that is younger than seventeen." Alec shifted slightly. "Life for my sister and I will likely be very different. We're stuck as children, so we'll never have a mate. We'll never get married. We don't have the development to form real romantic attachments. We were changed too early. We'll never able to live publicly without having to enrol in schooling. We can't mentor anyone. We have the ability to think beyond our years for a while but we can't keep it up. We're intelligent but stuck in the body of a child." You looked down, trying to hide that this upset you. That this was the life you had to look forward to. Alec noticed and shifted you to bring your attention back to him. "It's not all bad though." He smiled. "We still get to see the world and watch it change. Being younger doesn't make you oblivious. We just might not understand it the first time. We live by less commitments. We find the humour and good in the world, not just the bad. Besides, you can do so much more, you're a couple of years older than us. I don't want to fuel your ego but you do have more development than us." It was your turn to smile. "However, I can't say you'll still be encouraged to have romantic relations. I also know for sure you'll have a few of the Guard and the Masters disapproval for even trying."
You giggled. "Is this one of those moments that you're smarter than an average kid your age?"
"I'm always smarter, thank you. I'm just putting in effort to be much more... mature? Structured? Something like that." Alec shot back.
"I'll take that. If you were in this era, you'd be screaming about memes and fidget spinners."
"What's a memes and what is a fidget spinner?" Alec asked which made you laugh.
"Thanks, Alec. You cheered me up. I better leave you alone now."
"(Y/N), what are those you mentioned?"
You giggled even more, bounding towards the door.
"(Y/N)! Answer me!"

It distracted you for a while but now...now the thoughts returned. You tossed and turned before you gave in trying to sleep. You had hoped someone could ease your mind but who would do such a thing?
You had soon stopped paying attention to where you were going and got more upset the more you thought over everything.

You had thought you were going to the library but you realised your mistake when you opened the door to lock eyes with Marcus. You inhaled sharply as you felt tears well in your eyes to the brim.
"I'm sorry!" You said quickly about to close the door to leave when Marcus' voice stopped you. "Come here. What has gotten you so upset?"
Marcus rose to a stand and walked around his desk as you meekly entered and closed the door behind you.

It took more prodding encouragement from him for you to talk to him but when you did you immediately burst into tears. You hugged him, hiding your face from his view. You apologised again and again before you told him what was on your mind. You felt him slowly wrap an arm around you and his other hand on the back of your head.
"(Y/N), listen to me." He said quietly. You felt his jaw move on the top of your head. "We'll be here to help you, we're going to take care of you. You are our responsibility. My brothers and I will be helping you through the journey. We're going to do our very best to make sure this transition is as easy as possible for you. We weren't able to do the same for Jane and Alec." He hushed you softly, slowly calming you down. "I also advise you do not take the advice of a twelve year old boy so seriously. He is correct but not as accurate as he would be if he understood the world as it is now."
You couldn't hold back the short laugh and you didn't feel the short smile that graced Marcus' features to hear your laugh. He was glad he could put your mind at ease.
"Do not hold any burdens of what is out of your control. It's unnecessary torture." Marcus patted your head as though to drive in the point before pulling back. "Come, let's get you back to bed. You can tell me a story tonight. We both know you're rather gifted in your story telling."