116. Fall Back in Love Eventually (Alec Volturi x Reader)

https://like-rain-or-confetti.tumblr.com/

-----

Volturi balls were probably nerve wracking for everyone.
The Volturi had a reputation after all, a wicked one.
Although you had a whole other level of fear.
You were mated to one the most frightening vampires in existence.
Alec. One of the four elite guards. Without doing much at all, he could rob anyone of all senses. A walking death trap.

You left fifty years ago. Whilst you loved Alec dearly and perhaps you always would, the decisions and life he had in the Volturi frightened you.
As far as Alec was concerned he had a job to do.
As far as you were concerned, he enjoyed torturing people and it wasn't left merely to a duty. Alec would do it on his free time. That frightened you, endlessly and given neither of you could agree upon it, the relationship fell apart.
Alec tore up nearly half the castle when you left. He was furious that even Aro let you leave. That was understandable.
Afton, as useless as he was to them, had to stay in the Volturi to keep Chelsea loyal. She was the glue. So why on earth were you allowed to leave?
Alec was even more ruthless after you left, his anger and betrayal driving everything he did, even if he didn't show it. Perhaps that was to Aro's advantage.

To your surprise, they actually did let you go. Alec didn't hunt you down, Demetri didn't track you. They never checked in. They just let you go.
You were lucky. No one knew about your bond to Alec. If they did, you'd have been a target long ago. You would have been dead or used as leverage. The only real friends you made were the Cullen's and the Denali given you and Eleazar's previous ties to the Volturi serving as something in common.
Beyond that, they seemed to enjoy your company.

Naturally, the Cullen's insisted you attended the ball with them. It was all about making amends and keeping the peace after all. You reluctantly agreed. Although as more time passed, the more you second-guessed the decision. Especially the moment you arrived.

You first caught eyes with Afton in the corridor, Chelsea was nowhere to be found. He nodded curtly at you and you nodded back.
Afton was the least confrontational. You liked him.
Whilst most guards struggled to really understand him- along with the dislike of not having to earn a place in the guard- you found him to be quiet but polite. Although he wasn't much of a talker. You figured you'd save yourself and him the struggle of conversation for now. Your luck ran out relatively quickly.

You had hopped someone like Santiago would be next to gradually build up your comfort. It wasn't.
Instead, Heidi glided up to you with a wide, beautiful smile. "Hello, stranger!" She grinned before taking you into a hug.
You lightly hugged her back. "Heidi." You smiled with a greeting.
"I'm so happy to see you again. It's been too long!"
You'd disagree, given your discomfort, it definitely hadn't been long enough.
"I sent an invite but didn't hear back. I assumed you weren't coming!" She said. You nodded. "Yeah, um, I wasn't sure if it was a good idea. Carlisle convinced me since he and his coven would be here."
Heidi nodded a little slower with a sympathetic smile. "Well, I'm pleased your here and I think that'll be the case for most of us."
Most. Definitely not the twins. You knew that for sure. It didn't have to be said. Suddenly Heidi let out a giggle with a playful nudge. "'Yeah'? Have you been spending time with humans?"
You cracked a smile. "Enough for my speech to be affected...not enough to know a thing about them." You replied. Your speech must have sounded strange now. It really had been a while since you had been here. You used to pronounce everything down the the smallest sound. It didn't come natural to you as much anymore to annunciate to such extent that you had been raised to.
Times change and seemingly, so did you.
"Enjoy yourself tonight." Heidi smiled. "Don't worry about a thing. Many of us will be pleased to see you." Heidi paused. "I don't suppose you've seen Afton? Chelsea has been looking for him. You know him, he's not a big people person." You smiled in amusement before twisting your body to look over your shoulder and point. "Near the entrance."
Heidi rolled her eyes. "Of course he is. Pardon me, I better go get him before he gets any ideas of escaping." She offered you one last charming smile before taking her leave.