42. Jared Cameron - Imprinting

https://wolfpack-imagines.tumblr.com/

----

Jared Cameron was a prick, despite what your best friend was leading you to believe. Or trying to, at least. Kim was blinded by love and you didn't want her to get her hopes up, especially when it came to a hooligan like Jared, but lucky for her, she had a keen and observant friend like you to keep her from getting a broken heart. You knew Jared was bad news — he had a tattoo and was a part of Sam Uley's little cult, which everyone had been talking about on the reservation. Even though you were an outsider, you'd still managed to hear about it. That's how serious the situation was.

"But we sit right next to each other," she said, "and he's so funny and nice!"

"You guys talk?"

Kim blushed. "I mean, he's nice to his friends."

You rolled your eyes. Common sense seemed to have completely abandoned your friend.

You and Kim walked into the local diner at La Push — the only restaurant around — and took a seat at a booth. After taking a look at the menu, you sighed.

"I swear, we need to find better food options," you huffed. "We have to hit up Port Angeles sometime."

Kim was about to say something when she froze with her mouth open. The door to the diner opened — though you had your back to it, you could feel the cold breeze — and a nosy crowd walked in. You didn't even need to turn around; from Kim's reaction, you knew exactly who it was.

"Are you kidding me?" you muttered.

Kim broke into a big smile when she saw Jared, but he walked right past her with the rest of his friends and settled into the booth across from you. You could see them perfectly — Jared with his two friends, Paul and Embry.

"And suddenly, my appetite has disappeared," you said. "Can we go?"

Shaking her head vigorously, Kim proceeded to call the waitress over. She ordered for the both of you and continuously snuck glances at Jared after she left.

"He's so cute," she whispered.

Embry and Paul started laughing, and though they weren't even looking at you, you could've sworn they heard what Kim had said. But there was no way they could've — she hadn't been that loud. Jared playfully rolled his eyes at something the boys said.

"If you're going to go after bad boys," you told her, "at least find someone who's bad and good-looking. I swear, Jared's the offspring of a toilet and a garbage can, with the personality of both."

Paul laughed again, though Embry stayed quiet. Flickering your eyes to Jared's face, you noticed he was glaring slightly at the table in front of him.

"That's so mean," Kim pouted.

You took another look at Jared — and at that exact moment, he lifted his head up and looked back at you. His whole demeanour changed in an instant. It was like someone had flicked a switch in him; his eyes went blank and his body tensed like a coiled spring.

He has really pretty lips, you thought. Immediately, a sour taste filled your mouth. Where had that come from? How could you ever think anything like that about Jared Cameron? Kim had way too big an influence on you. You were going to have to do something about that.

Embry nudged Jared's hand, which seemed to snap him out of his trance. He looked panicked and distressed, which was definitely a first. He was always so easy-going that you were surprised he was capable of serious emotions.