21. hunter's of artemis || demetri.v

https://avyannadawn.tumblr.com/

Fandom: Twilight (greek mythology au)

Pairing: Demetri Volturi x Female Reader

Wc: 1.4k

***

The choppy grass swayed gingerly in the wind as she surveyed her surroundings. The other hunters stood behind you, you on the left of the Goddess of the Hunt. Artemis breathed in sharply, turning to you, her silver eyes gleaming in the moonlight. "Strange things are coming."

"What do you wish to do?" You questioned Artemis, looking back to the third in command. She squinted at you, equally as confused as to what Artemis was sensing. "We'll rest here for tonight. But I want half on guard and half resting, switch an hour past midnight."

Artemis nodded at you, walking past and headed for the line of trees. You followed, keeping a steady pace behind your Goddess.

Stopping, she turned to you, nodding for you to step closer. "Y/n," she said, her eyes like fiery steel as they bore into yours. "You have been my second in command for well over three millennia as well as my closest companion. You are as much of a family to me as Apollo is. But I sense something coming, something that has to do with you. Death and peace hover over you."

You didn't know how to respond. After years of serving loyally by your Goddess's side, fighting and reviving anything she sees fit and not being by her side struck a chord in you. "Death and peace," you said quietly, "what do you mean by that?"

"I do not know, sister. Thanatos whispers that death looms where you walk, yet he says you are not to die. I do not know what is to come for you but I do not wish to keep you in the dark. I will not lie to you."

The night went on, dusk fading to dawn as the once dark sky bled orange, covering the earth in light. Artemis ordered for everyone to move, hunters moving all about as the makeshift camp is taken apart.

You ran through the trees, weaving between trunks as a pack. The air shifted, tension thickening as we continued through. In an instant daggers were out, swords were unsheathed and arrows were readied as Artemis stopped, fist raised in a silent command.

"Halt," Artemis spoke, her voice bouncing off the surrounding trees as she stared ahead. "Who are you and what are your intentions, immortals?" You couldn't see anything ahead of you, nothing but densely packed trees.

Four cloaked figures appeared ahead of you, black hoods covering every inch of skin. The smallest stepped forward, pulling her cloak from her blond head, "we are the Volturi and we are just simply passing through. Who are you?"

"Vampires," Artemis stated, turning to face you. The hunter's behind you tensed. In your three millennia of fighting monsters, you had only heard of vampires, the myths and old ghost stories told by other hunters around the fire. Yet before you stood four equally beautiful, red-eyed ones. The dirty blond-haired man stepped forward, his eyes trained solely on you.

Something inside you snapped. Your soul felt as if it were pulled to his, your souls tethered together by an invisible string. His crimson eyes widened, mouth parting slightly as his eyes softened.

Your heart bet erratically in your chest as you turned to Artemis. Her eyes were already locked on your face, her expression grim as she turned to the vampire. "My lady?" you questioned but she simply raised a hand to silence you. "You have appeared to have mated with my hunter. What is your name?"

"Demetri," He answered, his gaze shifting to her. "May I ask who you may be?" His voice was smooth, the words rolled off his tongue effortlessly, sending shivers down your spine.

"I am Artemis, Goddess of the Hunt." His eyes widened as he stepped back, admiration clear in his red eyes as he looked between you and your Goddess. Artemis turned towards you, reaching out for your hand. Raising your hand to meet hers, she clasped it in her own. "I never taught you hunters of the supernatural realm for it is a realm we are not authorised to fight. We are greek hunters, to which we protect people from the beasts of our kind." She brought a hand to your cheek, nodding at you.

"As we spoke in the woods last night, my sister. You have been my most trusted and loyal hunter and for that, I bid you a pardon." You stepped back, heart sinking. "No. No, what is the meaning of this?"

"This vampire, Demetri," she said, looking at him with a stern gaze. "He is your mate and you can not fight the pull of the bond that now ties you together. You are destined to be with him as he is to be with you. You cannot fight fate, the fates; as cruel as they can be, they know what's best. And as much as it pains me to part with you, it is what I have to do."

Artemis stepped back, standing directly before you, steel eyes staring straight into you. "I, Artemis, Goddess of the Hunt, Daughter of Zeus and Leto, severe the oath made three thousand and two hundred years ago to this day, releasing Y/n Y/l/n as my second in command and hunter. Your oath to eternal maidenhood has been revoked, you are no longer bound to me."

You let out a gasp, clutching your chest as you stared at her. Artemis was by your side in an instant, embracing you tightly. "That is simply the immortality leaving your body, you are now a mortal." You hugged onto Artemis. Part of you was breaking at leaving her and the other hunters. They've been your family, the glue that put you together after the world tore you apart long ago. And having to leave them now felt as if part of you were chipping away, staying with them. Your heart was breaking at the thought.

But looking over at Demetri, your mate, whose eyes were already on you, a small smile on his face as he nodded. Tear glossed your eyes as you stepped back, turning to your third in command, who was already by your side. Tear in her eyes as she embraced you. "I'll miss you, boo," she smiled.

After the rest of the hunters bid their farewell, you turned to Demetri, the giant beside him sending you a warm smile as you stepped towards the four vampires.

"Wait. I wish to give you something." Artemis unsheathed the blade at her hip. The sword Zeus had gifted her long before your oldest ancestor had lived. "Artemis, that's your father's blade. I cannot accept that."

The deep steel blue sword shone in the light, its blade curved at every angle, representing a lightning bolt. Gold outlined the edges, the handle wrapped in pure gold string. "Yes, you will. I am an archeress. You know I have no use for swords. Plus, I know if my father were to have it given down to someone, he'd want it to be someone worthy. And you, my love, are beyond that." Placing the handle in your hand, she gave you a swift kiss on the cheek. "I shall see you soon." She tapped your chest lightly, "once a hunter, always a hunter."

Artemis nodded to the third in command. Well, now second in command, giving her the signal to move out.

And as if they were never there, they were gone, leaving a small trail of moondust in their wake. A tear slipped down your cheek as the sword fell limp in your hand. They were gone.

"Mia cara," shivers ran down your spine as you looked up into the soft crimson eyes of Demetri. This was the first time he had spoken to you, your brain freezing up at what to do. Your heart rattled at the thought of this being the first time you've talked to a man since joining the hunt.

Noticing your hesitation, he stepped back, a warm smile painted softly on his lips, "we are to leave now. Come." Nodding, you discarded your old sword, the dainty iron one that was forged years ago, sheathing Zeus's in its place. The weight of it feeling odd at your side. Even the thought of having the King of Gods sword at your side felt weird. "Where are we going?" you asked.

The giant up ahead chuckled, smiling down at you as Demetri and yourself walked to the other three vampires. "Home."