27. Avoidance (Jane Volturi x Reader)

https://like-rain-or-confetti.tumblr.com/

-----

You went looking for Felix, even checking the library when you couldn't find him anywhere else. Felix didn't read. He couldn't stand it, if there were anyone to never be in the library it was Felix.
To your slight horror and surprise you found your mate, Jane, instead.

Whilst you two were mates, she was still quite cold and hostile around you most of the time. It was a very rare time that she let down her guard and really enjoyed spending time with you. It impacted you by feeling as though you were constantly walking on eggshells with her. So much so you eventually had begun to avoid her. Much to her disapproval although she never let it show.

"Hey, uhh, is Felix here? Have you seen him?" You asked her.
"Of course, he isn't. This is the library." She said with a matter of fact tone as she beckoned you into the room.
You complied standing in front of her as she asked. "Why are you looking for him?"
"Oh, I just wanted to talk to him, really. Nothing important." You assured her. "Wouldn't you rather talk to me?" She asked lightly although her gaze was just empty as it had ever been.
You dropped your gaze, stumbling slightly for words before Jane leaned back with a hardened gaze directed towards the window beside her.
"Of course, you wouldn't." She said lowly.
You immediately felt guilty, not wanting her to get the impression you wanted nothing to do with her.
You moved to sit on the window set beside her. "Actually Jane, can we talk for a bit instead? I haven't seen you in a while."
You seemed to have surprised her as she straightened slightly, her eyes quickly moving back to yours. "I'd like that." She said quietly.

Gradually you had warmed up to her, finding she was trying her best not to scare you at first and then she realised it was easier to speak to you than she had thought. The mate bond giving you both the confidence you needed. You hadn't even noticed that during your conversation, you had gotten closer to her. Jane's eyes ran over you once, noting your intense stare on the detail of her dress. Your finger trailed over the pattern on her skirt, delicately.
"Will you accompany me to my room?" She asked.
You hesitated for a moment. "Yeah, okay." You said after a moment meeting her gaze with a small smile.
The two of you slid off the window seat as you let Jane lead the way.

You immediately noticed Jane had a small loveseat in her room opposite her bed. However, Jane paid no mind to it and instead sat on her bed.
She gave you an expectant look. Although you were uncertain if that was an invite. She patted the bed beside her. "Come sit with me."
That was definitely an invitation.
You complied, climbing upon the bed beside her.
"Do you ever use this?" You asked, looking down at the perfectly made bed. You were consciously aware that every tiny little movement you made, intentional or not, messed it up that little bit more.
"Not often." Jane responded. "We have no use for them but they're a comfort. It's better than anything I had when I was human. I tend to lay on it rather than in it."
You nodded, pleasantly surprised with how much of a response you had received.

Without warning, Jane reached out for your hand and brought it to rest on her knee. Your heart had then began to race. You knew had a good reason to avoid touching Jane as you had since the beginning. If she wanted physical contact then she had the control to initiate it on her own terms. She wasn't a particularly affectionate person, or at least, towards nearly every other person than Aro and Alec. It seemed like affection had to be earned with her and you didn't want to upset her by pushing her limits. Whilst she had hugged you briefly, even giving a quick kiss to the cheek on the days she's feeling generous. Those were rare, barely one or two occasions, any other contact is her guiding you out of someone's way or in the direction she wanted you to go.
All of the above was quick and felt very forced with very little meaning behind it.