35. Rescued (Demetri Volturi x Reader)

https://like-rain-or-confetti.tumblr.com/

--

You let out a scream, but the collision never came.
You watched in horror as Demetri Volturi of all people had a tight grip on the newborn vampire and with impossible speed, he and Felix ripped the vampire apart.

The two Volturi guards slowly turned to you.
Felix and Demetri looked at each other briefly before Demetri approached. You inhaled sharply, trembling in fear as you anticipated that you were next. He crouched down to your level.
"You're safe."

He'd never actually spoken to you before. He'd only ever stare at you when in his presence.

After the battle with the Newborn army, you were more than ready for bed. You had just came back into your room after brushing your teeth, taking off your hoodie before gasping in fright.

There, sitting on the bottom of your bed, was Demetri Volturi.
He was quiet at first, seemingly in thought before breaking the silence.
"You feel it too." Demetri said simply. You knew almost immediately that he was talking about the pull. The longing you had to be around him.
"You feel it?" You asked quietly.

Demetri slowly nodded with a grim expression. "I want to understand this but I can't with everyone surrounding us."

"You and the others...killed that girl." You began quietly, listening to your voice of reason.
"She lived longer than she should have." Demetri answered.
"Am I supposed to believe that I won't meet the same fate?" You asked.
Demetri sighed. "I'm not here to the play this game with you. I'm not here as a Volturi guard and I know for a fact that you are not as loyal to the Cullen's as you'd have us believe. You and I have to be seen a certain way, play a role and this bond doesn't care for that. So I suggest we figure it out together and cast those roles aside." Demetri swallowed, his voice lowering again. "So do you want to continue roleplaying or come to bed?"
You were alarmed by the question, that was exceptionally forward, especially considering the little time you had known each other.
You stammered. "As in-?"

"Was that not what you were about to do? Go to bed?"
You exhaled. "So you're not asking to..." You trailed off.
After a moment, Demetri seemed to catch on, a slight smirk growing on his face. "There will be plenty of time for that in the future, love." The smirk vanished. "I just want to be near you, try to understand this."
After a moment, you agreed.

One thing was clear, Demetri wasn't entirely good at being open with humans. Then again, you didn't imagine he had much time for humans unless flirting.
It was clear, Demetri didn't want to do that with you. He wanted to get to know you and this was the way he decided to do it.

You moved passed him, climbing into your bed.
After a moment of watching you. He followed suit. You felt the bed dip as you moved to give him room. The two of you were silent. You felt his arm graze your back and you immediately turned to face him. Like clockwork, you both moved closer to each other and you curled into him.
You expected it to feel awkward, cuddling into a stranger, a dangerous one at that. However it wasn't. In fact it felt like you had been waiting for that moment.

"Did you know?" You asked quietly. "In Italy? Did you know?"
"I had my suspicions." He responded quietly.
"I have so many questions. I want to know more about you." You admitted.
"I know." Demetri replied. "As do I. However, there will be time for that. Next time. The next time we get peace like this, I'll answer your questions."

As time passed, you were almost inseparable. Whilst your bond only grew stronger, so did the challenges.
Such as when Bella fell pregnant. Things weren't supposed to go this way. You were at a loss of what to do. You couldn't tell your father what was happening to his daughter. Reality sank in that one day you'd have to look your father in the eyes and tell him Bella had died knowing full well that she was still around.
You hated the situation but it only got worse.