126. Demetri Volturi - A day in Volterra

https://like-rain-or-confetti.tumblr.com/

Jane stuck of her hand, silently asking for the toy in your hand. It was a common thing for the twins to find something that was yours and be awestruck by it. It seemed fair enough, they didnt get out much in normal terms.
"Now say, 'please, my wonderful, amazing human (Y/N), may i have your fidget spinner'?" You said as you held it out to Jane. Jane immediately took it and rushed off to show her brother. You stayed silent and still for a moment, staring at the space she once stood in.
"Fine! Just rob me of my fidget spinner!"
"You're very good with children. The twins seem to like you." Demetri said from the doorway and you smiled at him.
You looked down, heat rising to your cheeks as you realised that Demetri had been looking at you, staring even, with a soft smile on his face. "You're doing it again." You said bashfully.
"what?" He asked.
"Staring at me."
"Staring at you? Never. I'm just taking you in." He tilted his head that rested in his hand, now sitting on your bed. There was another moment of silence.

"Your eyes are lovely." He said, almost to himself it was so quiet.
"Thank you." You whispered before jumping slightly as Demetri was suddenly leaning inches towards your face. One hand on the back of your seat and the other on your desk. He looked at you for a while before speaking. "What would you say...if I offered to take you out tonight?"
Your jaw nearly dropped. "Outside? Like, beyond the entrance doors?"
Demetri hummed with a nod, a growing smirk. "For an hour or two... you've earned it."
"Yes! Yes! Yes!"

Just as he promised Demetri took you out after you had some dinner. You never knew that beyond the walls of Volterra there was a beach. You walked along the knee-high brick wall, Demetri walking by along the path beside you, holding your hand as he did so. You enjoyed the light breeze as it whirled past you, the smell of the ocean hitting your nostril. You couldn't keep the grin off your face, the sun completely set, the world around you a soft blue.
"Where are you from? Like originally, if you don't mind telling me." You asked him. You jumped down from the wall but didn't let go of his hand, not that either of you noticed.

"Well, I was born in Greece around 1000 A.D. I spent some time with Amun, have you met him?"
You shook your head. Demetri hummed. "You wouldn't like him and I'm almost certain he wouldn't like you. He doesn't like many people- hates me."
"Hates you? Why?" You asked.
"I left him to join the Volturi. He considered me a son and the last I heard he said I was ungrateful."
"He sounds...lovely." You took your time to find a decent word and Demetri chuckled. "I am happier with the Volturi and I'm pretty sure he replaced me long ago now. However, I can't remember much of anything of my human life. I was early to mid-twenties when I was changed. I wasn't married and I came from a well off family but that's all I really know I'm afraid."
"Did you feel any different about things after being changed?"
Demetri hummed. "That's a good question. Very much so at the beginning. It took me forty years to control my bloodlust, the average is usually around thirty but when I did, I wasnt as animalistic. I remembered aspects of my personality that remained." Demetri immediately cut himself off so smirk at you. "If I tell you this, you can't tell anyone."
"I promise and now you have to tell me." You responded, your interest peaked. "Well, once I got control, I was allowed outside at night. It felt like the world had continued without me. Myself, going at a slower pace which made everything about humanity seem so trivial. I got what I wanted the very moment I wanted it and things remained that way even when I joined the Volturi- to an extent."
"Don't think I don't know what you're hinting at Demetri. We all know you're quite the charmer."
"I may use my charms but it's not my fault it works." He winked back at you. "Nevertheless, I came across a lot more children in Italy. I can't really say I know why. It reminded me that I wanted to have a daughter in my human life. A part of me still does."
You turned to him, startled. That was a very personal thing he had told you. He trusted you to know.
"I try not to think about it now." He offered you a smile. "Why think about something I could never have?"
"I'm sorry..."
"Don't be." He assured you. "I didn't lose a thing and with this life I have only gained. I can't complain." Demetri, with good timing, changed the topic, keeping the conversation going without allowing any awkwardness. "Tell me about you, before us."
"Well I can't really say anything in comparison to that." You smiled and Demetri hummed in amusement.
"I can't say that I really know what I wanted to do with my life. I did what I wanted, worked hard to get it but it was always an in the moment call. I couldn't guarantee I'd want the same thing in the next five years."
"I could never fault that. It's freedom that's considered a luxury to majority of my kind. Many of us never got such an option, our fate and commitments were made for us as children."
"I admire your strength to endure such a life." You told him.
"There was no other alternative, my dear. With your own life comes its own challenges. Challenges that we could consider a need for strength to overcome."
"It sounds like two sides of the same coin." You smiled at him and he returned it, gazing into your eyes.
"I should really take you back now." Demetri pulled you a little closer.
"I knew you were going to say that any second." You grinned trying to force down the sensation of your stomach dropping and a lump forming in your throat. "Well, you made it easy. It will most certainly be noted for a later date. I don't imagine that you'll be denied another outing when being so compliant."
"Demetri, if I tried to run you'd literally laugh at me and probably trip me."
"I would find it amusing but I have manners! I wouldn't attempt to make you fall."

The walk back to Volterra was pleasant and Demetri was even kind enough to walk you back to your room. "Thanks again, Demetri. I really appreciate your time."
"The pleasure was mine, darling." A silence followed, you looking into one anothers eyes that you didn't even notice you both were leaning in until he was inches from your face.
Even by that point, you didn't want to pull away. Your lips touched his and you felt immediate butterflies as you received a very slow kiss. Demetri put his hand to your cheek as he kissed you again. You felt as though your knees would give way at any moment and with another brief kiss, he pulled back. You were the first one to speak, stammering slighty as you did so. "That...that was nice." You said softly.
Demetri slowly nodded, leaning his cold forehead on yours. "Get some sleep. It's late." He reached behind you, opening your door before lightly pushing you in and within seconds he was gone, leaving you facing your open doorway.