91. Family Secrets (Demetri Volturi x Reader)

https://like-rain-or-confetti.tumblr.com/

WARNING: Dark themes mentioned!

-----

For as long as you could remember, your mother was always a rigid woman. She was constantly tense. You used to believe it was because she worked so much to keep the two of you going but after some time, you had to wonder if it was just a personality trait.
She didn't have friends, or people she considered friends specifically. Her focus was always on you, the house and her job.
Your mother said she didn't have any family but you. She was disowned by her parents and had one sibling that also cast her out. She never told you why. She never told you anything about her life before you.
Eventually you stopped asking because she wouldn't entertain the question and instead got more agitated with the more curious you had become as you grew up.

The next common topic was your father, someone you wondered about since your earlier school days. You noticed the kids in your class with their parents. Mum's, dad's, mums and dads, two mum's and two dad's. All had more information about their family than you did.
Your mother also didn't talk about your father. You knew you had one but your mum hadn't been in contact with him since she was pregnant with you.
She gave no reason why, nor did she give any clue about who he was.
He didn't matter, she had told you and that was the end if it.
However being the child you were, that only raised more questions.

Things boiled over a few months, living most of your childhood in the dark about your family. The questions bouncing around in your head.
That was until you discovered some old photos in your mother's room.

You were almost taken aback, there were two pictures of your mother both in different angles. She wore a sundress and sun hat, her head tilted back mid laugh, looking at something out of frame. Behind her, out of focus was what looked like a large dark brown door. To the left a red smudge that could only be described as a person and many other smudges in the background.
After a moment you recognised those smudges to be people, simply out of focus like the rest of the background.

You couldn't help but stare at her brilliant smile. Your mother had always been a pretty woman but she never smiled as wide as she had in this picture. Not that you could remember anyway. The woman was younger, identical yet completely different in nature.
The mother you knew was very reserved, never having a smile that showed her teeth and practically lived in business suits with heels. Even a small smile from her had to be earned with good reason.
You felt a pang in your chest, knowing that this version of your mother was long gone. Even more so, this was the person she wanted to hide you from so much.

The other photograph had a what simply looked to be the wall of what you could only assume was the same building and people passing by in the background. Suddenly the photographs were ripped from your hands. You let out a startled cry as your mother looked at you with a fury you had never seen before.
"I raised you better than to go through people's belongings!" She snapped.
"But I-" You quickly discovered there was no room for excuses.
"Go to your room!"
You couldn't understand what made her so angry about those photographs but you didn't dare argue, the subject immediately dropped the next day.

It wasn't long until there was bigger worries.
It started off with small but odd symptoms. Until they became so frequent that they couldn't be ignored.
A doctor's appointment turned into many.
The doctors appointments moved to hospital appointments and that was when everything went very wrong.