116. Grief Always Lifts (Volturi x Reader)

https://like-rain-or-confetti.tumblr.com/

-----

You didn't expect to be sent away from the Cullen's.
You were quickly chastised, never to look at it as being sent away, rather putting you in the care of someone else for your benefit.
Losing a parent was never easy and it didn't need to be said that you were struggling. You went on day by day, the simple mundane things reminding you of your father and in turn, your loss.
Carlisle and Esme thought it best you had a break from America. Somewhere new to really work through your emotions. The last place you thought they'd send you is to the Volturi.

Sure, Italy was nothing like you were used to but the coven they said would care for you isn't entirely the caring type. You weren't even sure as to what made them agree to having you in their care but you had no doubt Aro probably latched onto the possibility of rekindling his friendship with Carlisle.
Regardless, you agreed.
A symptom of your grief that they had noticed. You weren't entirely present, agreeing to be convenient and not having a particular want for anything.
Carlisle and Esme insisted that if you weren't comfortable, you didn't have to go but you left reassuring them you'd be fine.

Marcus recognised the look in your eyes, beyond the exhaustion and blank stare your emotions were loud and clear to him.
You felt so much pain that with some irony, you looked to be dead.
As though the loss had killed you.
However such a statement couldn't be further from the truth.
You were very much alive, nearly drowning in whatever was going on in your mind.

The three leaders welcomed you and made sure you knew the higher ranking guards names. Anyone you came across was introduced.
Many matching your own blank expression take away the exhaustion that hung over you like a blanket since a few days after your fathers funeral.

Demetri and Felix were the ones who took you to your room.
You took in the room before turning to the two guards. "Thank you for all of your help." Your voice was as monotone as the minute you had arrived. Although your facial expressions were at bare minimum. You didn't blink very much and it gave off the illusion that your face was trying and very much failing to emote and keep up with your words.
Demetri nodded once and the two took their leave, letting you settle in.

"They look like they haven't slept in days." Felix said quietly.
"Apparently they have been sleeping, that's just how they are currently." Demetri responded. Felix looked perplexed. "They were sent to us for a reason Felix. The Cullen's wouldn't have asked us if they weren't desperate." Demetri said. "Sure, it's just odd to see them so lifeless." Felix replied.
Demetri nodded. "Seeing them like this in comparison to how we last saw them is very strange. Even the twins seemed to be caught off guard."

"Is the room to your liking?"
You looked over your shoulder to see Caius approaching you.
"It's great." You responded. "Thank you so much, I don't think I've ever stayed somewhere to extravagant before."
Caius cracked a smile. "We have expensive tastes here. I imagine that isn't the only thing you have noticed though."
"You're right. The decor isn't exactly modern yet you still have the random TV, electricity and such. I think what I'm trying to say is that it's a perfect combination of old decor and convenient modern day technology."
Caius hummed. "That is good. I can't say many of us use most of the modern equipment, although it has its uses every now and then. Such as warm water for you."
It was your turn to crack a smile. It was nice they remembered the little details. "I've never had a room with a balcony. Not had one with such an amazing view either."
You could see out to the ocean beyond the cliffs, the sun setting creating a cool breeze. "Yes, it is very beautiful. My wife adores the view. She doesn't see the buildings as much from the tower but she sees the sun rise and set. That's enough for her, she says." Caius said looking in the direction of the setting sun. You noticed Caius was never this talkative with anyone, never mind a human.
It had gone from polite pleasantries to a conversation and you weren't sure what to make of it.
"We must ask something of you, (Y/N). A few things actually."
"Okay...I mean, it makes sense since you're letting me stay here."
"We only ask that you do not leave your room when we are feeding. A guard will tell you when we are going to feed and when you can leave. At most you'd be in for an hour. We must also ask for your phone. You are more than free to make calls using the phone at reception but due to all of the things mobile phones can do, we must insist."
You nodded. "Sure, that's reasonable." You dug into your pocket for your phone before handing it over. "Oh wait, can I turn it off first?"
Caius looked down at the device in his hand. "I believe that would be best because I don't know what I'm looking at with these things."
You cracked a smile, holding down the power button. "There."
"Thank you." Caius nodded.