149. Alec Volturi - New Beginnings

https://like-rain-or-confetti.tumblr.com/

Warning: mentions of death and terminal illness

***

You had been living with a terminal illness for years and it was either luck or a sick joke the universe made just for Alec when he met you in what was most certainly your final year. He remembered the conversation you both had not long after your relationship was made final, you prognosis told you had three years left but that was four years ago.

Over the past 8 months, you had been miserable. You spent a lot of time sleeping now, you were in pain and now, you struggled to breathe. You had a tube in your nose for oxygen, you were no longer able to breathe properly on your own. It was five months ago that Alec asked to change you. You refused but now his requests had turned to pleads yet still you refused, all the while growing more agitated at his constant asking.You eventually made your stance clear, if he changed you against your consent then he should immediately consider your relationship done. It led to constant arguing until you said the words that made Alec feel an entirely new level of fear that he didn't even know existed. "When the time comes, I want you to let me go."
He hated the world after that. He hated that he was given something that made a whole new meaning to his existence, that gave him love and compassion only for it to be ripped away so quickly. Even Jane eventually grew attached. Jane immediately went to see you when she returned from a mission, especially when she returned to the news that you had been very sick.

Your face lit up behind the exhaustion as she walked through the door. You immediately moved to stand and Demetri hurriedly moved to help you up and keep you standing.
"You shouldn't be up." Jane protested also holding out her arms to steady you.
"i'm up." You shrugged her statement off. "Come here, give me a hug." You reached out for her as she carefully hugged you.

Things didn't get any better. No more than a few weeks later, you couldn't get up and couldnt stay awake for long. A horrible sinking feeling settled in Alec's stomach for he knew what everyone else was thinking because he was thinking it too. This was it, you were going to die.

As he sat by your bedside, his eyes black already feeling as though he'd lost you but it angered him more to see that you wore the ghost of a smile. He knew you knew your time was coming to an end and he hated that you welcomed it. You taking his hand that rested beside your leg was what brought him out of his thoughts once more. You knew what he was thinking and you wanted to make it easier. "Everything's going to be okay..." You whispered and Alec immediately raised your hand to his lips. "Please..." He mumbled. "Please let me." You shook your head. "It's time for me to go."
"Stop it, just let me save you."
"I'm tired, Alec." You said as though it was enough of a reason for him. "It's time for me to go, to be free." Alec groaned a "No." into your hand and you repeated yourself breathlessly. "Everything is going to be okay."
Alec dropped your hand, shaking his head frantically. He couldn't play this game anymore. He muttered an apology as he hovered over you and your smile vanished muttering protests as you caught on what he was going to do. "No..."
"Close your eyes, sweet-face. I'm so sorry." Alec moved towards your neck.

When you locked eyes with him, you were angry but before you could show it the most important detail became clear to you.
"I can breathe." You said through an exhale and Alec began to smile. "The pain is gone."
It had been a long time coming. You were completely unaware of your surroundings as you enjoyed the moment. It had been so long since you could breathe and move without pain or feeling trapped in your own body.
"You should have more faith in us, (Y/N). Alec at the very least. He didn't gift you with immortality to punish you. He gave you it to set you free." Demetri smiled.
You smiled, eyes fluttering shut. "Alright, you win this one. My excuse is a lack of oxygen to my brain."
You heard a few chuckles. Your eyes opened as you moved to sit up, grinning as you moved with ease, no longer feeling as though every joint groaned with every minuscule movement.
"How are you feeling?" Alec moved forward and you looked up at him with a smile.
"Fantastic."
"I'm relieved to hear that." He reached out with his hand, waiting for you to take it. "Come, let's get you to feed."
"Wait." You took his hand, hoping off of the table but immediately pulled him into a hug squeezing him tightly, all the while muttering to yourself repeatedly not to break him. Alec usually wouldn't appreciate such affection in such a public setting but he tolerated it just this once. To feel you properly, hold him to you and with a proper grip. You had been too weak to do so for months, to feel it now...it was a gift.

That night, you found Alec sitting on the balcony fence. It was made of stone and was wide enough for him to sit on. The moon beaming down on him and into the bedroom window beside him which lit up his dark bedroom.
"Hi."
"Hello. I hear Carlisle has kept you busy." Alec grinned. "Yeah, he was glad to hear from me. He's pleased that I am happy."
"So am I." Alec responded. "I hope you realise I went against your wishes because I couldn't bare to see you in pain anymore. I was going to lose you. You might have been prepared to die but...I wasn't prepared for you to go."
You nodded.
"Come sit with me." He said and you climbed over the stone fence legs dangling on either side.
"I understand." You began. "I had become complacent with the thought of dying. I looked forward to the end of all the pain but I didn't realise that you didn't have the time I had to prepare. I'm sorry."
He nodded. "It's in the past now...and you're better. That's all that matters to me."
"I forgot what it was like." You said quietly to yourself but Alec picked it up and wanted more. "What do you mean?"
"I forgot what it was like to move and breathe and not feel in pain or exhaustion." Alec nodded. "I knew...as of late, I could see it in your eyes. It was all you knew. I couldn't watch anymore. Especially when I knew I could help you."
You nodded. "You don't have to worry anymore."