Chapter 198

Chapter 198: Toby's POV

Before I could ask Mona about our flight plans, my phone rang. Mona and I both stared at the unfamilar number.

"That's weird," she said. "I'm positive that's not a Pennsylvania area code."

"Must be some telemarketer," I said, but Mona picked it up.

"Who is this?" she asked, but the mysterious caller hung up.

"Weird," I said and got back to the topic. "Mona, what did you mean by us going to California?"

"Toby, you couldn't even ask Mrs. Hastings what school Spencer goes to. There's no way you can find Spencer in that big state without my help."

I had to agree with that point, but it still felt awkward with Mona around. "Don't you have school? College apps?"

"It's winter break next week, Toby. Plus, I already got early acceptance into three schools."

"Damn, congrats," I said, impressed. "What's your top choice?"

"Stanford," she replied as she scrolled through available flights to California.

"Spencer's dream school," I noted. "By the way, I don't even know if my dad will let me go to California. We don't really have the money to randomly fly across the country."

"I'm paying for it," Mona said and I raised an eyebrow. "Consider it a Christmas gift."

"Wow," I said, amazed. "How can you afford this?"

"You don't want to know," she said. "Now go downstairs and ask your dad."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"You want to go to California? I thought I already said no!" Dad shouted. 

Damn, this was not his best hour. I should have probably asked him after he drank a few beers.

"Yeah, but I'm going with Mona and she's paying for everything!" I argued.

"You're going with Mona Vanderwaal?" he asked. "She's a smart and nice girl, but what are you guys going to do together?"

"Stanford!" I shouted. YESSS! "She got early acceptance into Stanford and really wants to check it out before she makes a decision, but none of her parents can go. So she asked me since I'm a close guy friend and all. We're just going for a quick college visit. We'll be back in a few days maximum."

Dad raised both his eyebrows. "And why is she paying for it?"

"Well, she already booked it for her and her mom, but her mom had a last minute business meeting," I lied and Dad started laughing.

"When are you leaving?"

"Friday," I said because the dance was on Saturday. "Friday night."

"Sure," Dad gave in and I hugged him. I got up and started walking upstairs when Dad stopped me.

"Toby," he called out and I turned around. "Good luck with Spencer."

Dad winked at me and I smirked. Damn, he was way ahead of me. 

---

So this might sound weird, but this chapter and the next few chapters are...I don't know how to put this, but I dreamt them. It's really weird, but I had a dream about this story and I liked my dream way better than what I had originally planned so...I hope you guys like it. <3