Chapter 277

Chapter 277: Spencer's POV

"TOBY!" I shouted as I saw his body fly on to Kenny's windshield. The car didn't even stop. It just kept driving.

I ran to Toby, but I couldn't do anything. It was too late.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Slow down, Spencer, and tell me what happened. I'm not the best listener at 2 AM," Mom told me over the phone.

"Toby and I were driving back from San Francisco," I started as tears kept flowing down my face. "We stopped for a while so that he could drive and then as he was walking on the road, a car came out of nowhere and ran over him. RAN OVER TOBY!"

"Oh my gosh!" Mom panicked. "Where are you guys now?"

"After he flew on to the windshield, I didn't even want to look at him so I just called 911 and cried by myself in a corner. The paramedics came immediately and just packed him away and now we're in the hospital. Well, he's in the intense care unit and I'm in the lobby."

"Is he going to make it?" Mom asked, but I didn't want to answer.

"Mom, can you and Dad just come back here as soon as possible?" I requested and tried to suppress my tears. "The hospital already called Toby's parents and they booked a flight."

"And I'll do the same. Melissa, Dad, and I will leave this morning. Stay strong, baby."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I waited hours.

I waited days.

I waited weeks.

I waited months.

Well, two months.

Should I just give up?

"Spencer, what's on your mind now?," Melissa asked as we sat in the waiting room. "You know, maybe you should go in Toby's room and actually see how he's doing."

"Do you really think I can just walk in and see my dead boyfriend lying there?"

"He's not dead!" Melissa interjected. "He's in a coma and you have been coming here every day after your classes for the last two months. Yet you've never once seen his face."

"I don't want to."

"So you just come here because the waiting room has nice chairs?"

Melissa was right. Maybe I just came here so that I could be informed of Toby's condition in person. I was just waiting for the day when the nurse would tell me that it was all over.

"Do you want me to drive you to the local church?" my sister asked. "We can pray for him."

"I don't need to pray! I need a fucking miracle!"

"Well, I'm going to go in to Toby's room and see him," Melissa said and stood up.

"It's all my fault," I muttered and she turned around.

"What?"

"I should have just went into the stupid ass Safeway parking lot."

"What are you talking about? Safeway?"

"It's my fault that Toby's going to die. I should have just listened to him. And do you know what was the last thing I said to him?"

"Tell me."

"I told him I hated him," I said and buried my head into my hands. "He's going to fucking die and the last thing I told him was that I hated him."

"This is bullshit, Spencer," Melissa replied and pulled me up by my arms. "You're going to see Toby. Now!"

"Melissa, no!"

"I'll be there with you so don't worry," Melissa said and walked up to the front desk. She gave the lady our information and she gave us the room number of Toby's ward.

"Melissa, let's just go home," I pleaded, but Melissa held my hand firmly until we were outside Toby's room. As Melissa reached for the handle, a nurse came out of the room and closed the door.

"Oh, we were just about to go inside and see Toby," Melissa told the nurse. 

"Who are you?" 

"Spencer Hastings, Toby's girlfriend," I replied and the nurse's eyes widened.

"Why don't we sit down? I have some news for you," she replied seriously, but I was dead already.

Goodbye, my lover. Goodbye, my friend. You have been the one. You have been the one for me.

People say goodbye in their own special way.