Chapter 182

Chapter 182: Toby's POV

I couldn't sleep. I just couldn't. My lights were on as I lay on my bed. I was waiting for Spencer to call and tell me that her parents were pulling some kind of sick joke on her. Maybe I should call her? After all, I told her I would. Nah, if she actually went to sleep, I would just wake her up.

"Toby!" Dad said as he opened my door. I woke up from my daydream and breathed a sigh of relief.

"Dad!"

"Why are your lights still on? It's past 1!" he yelled. "Your mom is very sleepy and she can't sleep with your lights on."

"She's not my mom."

"Well, she cares about you," Dad argued. "What's keeping you up? Everything okay?"

"It's Spencer," I said and got off my bed.

"Break up?" he asked and sat next to me.

"No. It's even worse."

"What happened?"

"She might move," I said and Dad frowned.

"Well, that's sudden."

"Yeah," I said. "You know, I think I'm just gonna sleep now. I'm hella tired."

"We can talk about this tomorrow, Toby. Good night."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I think we should talk in person. 3:30 at The Brew?"

I kept reading Spencer's text over and over. Why hadn't she called? What did she want to tell me?

"Sure," I replied.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What can I get you?" Emily asked me as she stood at my table. It was already 3:30, but no sign of Spencer.

"Just a muffin," I replied gloomily.

"Everything okay?" she asked.

"I don't know. Did Spencer mention anything in school today?"

"She wasn't here today. We kept calling her, but she never picked up. We called her mom, but she said Spencer was busy," Emily said. "So we just decided to give her some space."

If Spencer didn't even go to school, why did she wait until the afternoon to meet with me?

"Make that two muffins," I said as I saw Spencer walk through the door. Emily nodded and went to talk to Spencer. They hugged and Spencer came to my table.

"Hey," she said and I smiled. "Sorry I'm late. Really busy at my home."

"It's cool. What's the latest news?"

"Toby, I hate to say it, but I'm moving."

I wasn't even surprised, but I still hated hearing it. 

"Oh," I muttered and Spencer held my hand. "Whether I like it or not, I have to. And this might be great for me. No more drama; just a peaceful life without all the crazy shit happening in Rosewood."

"I thought you loved it here," I said.

"Toby, every time one problem is shut, another one arises! Like, one minute, I find out my boyfriend is A; the next moment, I'm in prison; it's a matter of time before I die!"

"Don't say that," I said and let go of her hand.

"You know what I mean. I don't want this life. Nobody would."

"What about school?" I asked.

"California has much better schools than tiny Rosewood," she said and I couldn't disagree with that.

"I can't believe this," I said, trying not to cry. I could see tears forming on Spencer's face so I held her hand again. "When are you leaving?"

"My dad was booking the tickets today while Melissa and I packed everything in boxes. Three days and I'm gone."

"That's kind of fast, right?" I asked and Spencer nodded.

"The faster, the better. I'm going to school tomorrow to say all my goodbyes."

I had to ask the question. I just had to.

"And us?"

And just like that, Spencer slowly let go of my hand...