Chapter 279

Chapter 279: Spencer's POV

"How is he?" I asked Mr. Cavanaugh as we stood in the lobby of the hospital. It was about two weeks after Toby woke up and I had rushed to the hospital right after my last class ended.

"He's getting better," he replied and pulled me in for a hug. "My wife is in the room and I think he's finally getting around to accept that she's his mom."

"I'll go see how they're doing," I offered and he let me go.

I walked to Toby's room and entered it slowly. Mrs. Cavanaugh crouched over Toby's bed and turned to me when I walked in.

"Spencer! So good to see you," she welcomed and I could hear the joy in her voice. "I'll leave you two alone for some time."

As she walked out of the room, I went and sat on the chair next to Toby. Poor guy was still so damaged, but his smile was the same.

"Hey, Spencer."

"How are you feeling, Toby?"

"Not great. My mom is really nice though," he said. "Stepmom, I mean. She told me about my whole accident."

I blushed in fear and looked at the floor. "What exactly did she tell you?"

"Well, she told me that I was walking to my car with you and as I was on the road, a car came and hit me."

I sighed in relief, but felt like a total bitch inside. Mrs. Cavanaugh was reiterating the story that I had told everyone...everyone except Melissa. Only my sister knew the truth.

"So why do you come here everyday at this particular time?" he asked. 

"I come here right after my classes end."

"Where do you go?"

"Stanford," I replied and he smiled.

"Damn, my girlfriend is smart."

"Woah!" 

"I still don't believe that someone as attractive as you dated me," Toby replied and smirked. "I'm still confused."

"I wish I could just wave a wand and you'd remember everything," I sighed in frustration.

"Well, that's not possible. It's a miracle itself that I survived the crash so let's take things slowly."

"I know, but I hate that the last six years of our relationship have just been killed."

"At least I wasn't killed," Toby said optimistically.

"We just went through so much together and while some of it was truly heartbreaking, it always ended in happiness. So many memories and now I have no idea how you will ever remember them."

"We could always recreate them if what you're saying is true," he replied and laughed.

"I AM SUCH AN IDIOT!" I yelled quite loudly that a nurse ran into the room, her face filled with worry. "Everything's fine here."

She gave me a warning look and left the room.

"What was that for?" Toby asked me.

"Recreating our memories! I can show you all our memories, Toby! Let me just make a quick stop at my house and I'll be right back," I said, gave him a quick kiss on the forehead, and dashed out of the room without explaining.