Chapter 186

Chapter 186: Toby's POV

I woke up to the sound of my doorbell. I looked at my phone. Shit, it was past noon. I threw on a shirt and ran downstairs to open the door. It was Emily.

"Don't you have school?" I asked.

"It was half day," she replied, staring at my messy hair and pajamas. "How are you?"

"Fine," I said and let her in. "Why wouldn't I be?"

"Spencer just arrived in California. She just texted me."

"Oh, she didn't text me," I said to my chagrin.

"Oh, I'm sorry."

"Em, I'm honestly fine," I lied. "You're overreacting to this."

"I don't know, Toby. Part of me thought you would go to the airport and try to stop her from leaving."

"Emily, this isn't the FRIENDS finale. She is the Rachel to my Ross, but I've done whatever I could. This isn't my choice; it's her family's."

Emily sat down and stared at me. "Part of me thinks she would have wanted you to do that though."

"Spencer knows how I feel about her and I don't want to be a pain in the ass any longer."

"So are you trying to make a long distance relationship work?" Emily asked.

All these questions suddenly made me miss Spencer even more.

"We broke up, Em," I said and she stood up and hugged me.

"I seriously thought you guys would get back together."

"I'm alright," I lied again and she let go because her phone rang.

"Oh, I'm getting a Skype call from Spencer!" she said excitedly.

"Okay, let me go take a shower while you talk to her."

"Stay!" she ordered.

"Wait, don't tell her I'm with you," I said and positioned Emily in the corner of the room. "Just don't mention me and make sure she doesn't find out you're in my house."

"Why?" Emily asked and I moved out of her vicinity as she picked up the call.

I could see Emily's phone from the side, but I made sure I was not seen through Spencer's screen. Spencer looked as gorgeous as ever and I could see she was still in the airport.

"Hey, Em!" she said. "I miss you so much!"

"I miss you too!" Emily replied and I could see Spencer looked tired. "How are you?"

"Super sleepy," Spencer replied. "My parents are getting our luggage now."

Emily looked at me, but I motioned her to put her head back towards her phone.

"Everything okay?" Spencer asked. "Where are you?"

"Um, in my house," Emily lied nervously. Wow, she was a horrible liar.

"Have you talked to Toby?"

"No," Emily said and her face became red. Oh, crap, this was too bad.

"I miss him a lot, Emily," Spencer said and my heart melted.

"Why don't you call him?" Emily asked and Spencer shook her head.

"Before I left, I told him we should meet new people and I think he will," she replied and I was really confused now. "He's just the most amazing person ever and I love him so much."

"Aw," Emily said and I took another quick peek at the screen.

SPENCER WAS CRYING!

"And he's so damn likeable, he's going to get Alison, Jenna, Jade, or some other beautiful girl within a week," Spencer continued and I felt hurt.

"He's not a player," Emily defended me.

"I know," Spencer said. "But I practically gave him permission for him to move on from me."

Emily looked at me again while Spencer buried her head in her hands.

"Are you sure you don't want to talk?" she whispered.

"No! And don't let her know I heard this whole conversation!"

"Is someone else there?" Spencer asked and Emily turned red again.

"Just talking to my mom, Spence!"

"A part of me just wishes he would have done something big to stop me from moving," Spencer continued her rant.

Wow, Emily was actually right about the whole FRIENDS thing.

"Like what?" Emily asked.

"I don't know, Em. I just wished he would have proposed to me or something."

NO FREAKING WAY!

"What?" Emily asked in surprised. "Hasn't he done that a million times before and haven't you always said no?"

"Yeah, but now I know that I have nothing to lose. I would have said yes," Spencer admitted and started crying again.