Chapter 96

Chapter 96: Toby's POV

I closed the door behind. I couldn't deal with Spencer now. Especially since I had joined the A Team.

"Care to explain what that was about?" Dad asked me. "I thought that girl was Mona. I didn't know you and Spencer broke up."

"Dad," I said confused. "That was Spencer."

I became suspicious to see if this was some sort of test that Mona set up. "How do you even know about Mona?"

"Oh, she's Jenna's friend and the girl who was here told me she was Mona."

"Well, that must have been a joke or something. Yeah, that was my girlfriend Spencer."

Dad looked confused and disapproving. "So you're dating a liar?"

"Dad!" I yelled. "It must have been some sort of misunderstanding."

"Well, why don't you invite her over for dinner tonight? We can get to know each other."

I didn't really want to talk to Spencer, but I knew that Dad was persistent so I opened the door. Unfortunately for me, Spencer was just getting into her car.

"Wait, Spencer!" I yelled and she got out of her car.

"What? Did you finally figure out your story?"

"Yeah..." I said.

Tell her, Cavanaugh. Tell your girlfriend you're A for her own benefit.

"Look, Spencer, I need to tell you something."

"What is it, Toby?" she said in a worried tone. Her eyes looked into mine. I couldn't do this. Not now. If Mona found out I told her, she would be the one that suffered. I couldn't do that to Spencer.

"I didn't go in a taxi and all. Well, I did, but it's not like that. I actually was planning a surprise for you because I know your birthday is coming up and all and I wanted to do something special so I had the taxi drive me over to Bucks County so I could rent some fancy hotel for the two of us."

Gosh, that was the worst lie ever. Spencer would never fall for that.

"Oh, Toby!" she said and hugged me. "I can't wait for it!"