Chapter 78

Chapter 78: Toby's POV

"WREN!" Spencer and I shouted at the same time. Even Mr. and Mrs. Hastings looked surprised.

"I thought you said you had a new boyfriend," Mrs. Hastings said bluntly.

"Well, it's a new relationship, so why not call it that?" Melissa replied and laughed.

Wren sat in the empty seat next to me. I scooted over closer to Spencer.

"Koby, is it?" he asked me. He very well knew my name.

"Toby, it's Toby," I corrected him.

"Let's start eating," Mrs. Hastings said and started passing out all the food.

"So how's the carpenter business?" Wren asked me super loudly.

"Um, it's ok," I said.

"That's what you get if you drop out of high school," Wren murmured.

"Excuse me?" I said, taken back. I couldn't handle this bullshit anymore. "I have a GED and I'm going to go back to school soon."

"To study more about carpenting?" he asked. "How do you think you're going to make a living from that? One day, when you and Spencer have a family, who's going to support you guys? If Spencer married someone with an actual job, let's say a doctor, that would be better for her."

"WREN!" Spencer screamed. "Apologize now."

"It's ok," I replied even though I was hurt. I knew he was right. "I'm just going to go out for a walk. Sorry."

I got up from my seat and to my surprise, Melissa got up too. "I'll accompany Toby," she told her parents and left the house with me.