Chapter 97

Chapter 97: Spencer's POV

Screw Toby and his lies. It was so obvious he didn't set up a birthday surprise for me, but I didn't want to question him anymore because I wanted to see if he actually went through with this plan. That way, I could just catch him in action if he failed.

"Anyway, my dad wants you to eat dinner with us," he said.

"I'd love to!" I said overenthusiastically. Toby laughed as we walked back into his house.

"Ah, good to see you, Mona...Spencer?" Mr. Cavanaugh greeted me as I walked in.

"Spencer, sir," I clarified.

"I'll go up and change," Toby said.

Oh great, just Mr. Cavanaugh and me. All alone. Where did Jenna go?

"I hope you like casserole," Mr. Cavanaugh told me.

"I like it as much as I like your son," I joked.

"Well, don't have sex with it," he joked back.

Mr. Cavanaugh and I made a few more jokes as we set the table for dinner. He was so chill and so very different from my strict, overbearing parents. I can't believe Toby didn't introduce me before. He didn't even ask me why I said my name was Mona.

"Ah, I see you two have met," Toby said, coming down the stairs in a tight black shirt.

"Your dad is the coolest," I remarked.

"Yeah, you should have met my mom. She was even cooler," Toby said in a sad tone.

Everything became silent. Talk about awkward.

"Let's eat the casserole!" I said to interrupt the silence.

"Maybe after we eat dinner, I can eat you out," Toby whispered in my ear, causing me to blush and laugh.