[Revised/Edited] Episode 80: Roaring Gust

"A Lonely Wind returns"

*Lei*

I gave the proctor the most innocent grin I could, even more so than the one I had flashed Nyima outside. "I mean Mr. O' great one."

The man glared at me, clearly not buying it. "Continuing on. The next area involves the source of magic itself, prana. You will be tested on various areas which are: Prana stored in your magicae organum, prana flow, and prana restoration speed. Of course, I'll also take into account your elements, seeing how they all cause prana to function differently."

"Wow, this really does sound like the entrance exam all over again. Can we who passed it just be excused?" I asked.

"Yeah, can't we?" Hal asked, giving him his best smile.

"Would save us a lot of time," Brother said, nodding.

"Sure would," Sister whispered, afraid to have the man's wrath directed at her.

The man slammed my desk once more. "Listen here, Mr. Funny guy, you will take the test. This test is far more difficult than the entrance exam. In fact, they should have used this for the exam... instead of the easy test they had. I mean, comparing mediocre against mediocre doesn't mean much."

Iah snickered. "Oh, did you just call us exchange students mediocre? You will regret your words."

"Fine, then let us begin," he said. "We'll be going to the gym."

I jumped to my feet and gave the ogre man a toothy smile. "My magic will blow you away, literally," I said.

***

We returned to the gym where we had met the eight. This time instead of an illusionary labyrinth-like jungle gym were the same devices that we had used for the exam.

"You are to hit certain goals. They will start small, but gradually increase. The more of them that you manage to complete, the higher you score."

Ulissis face turned pale.

Alto patted him on the back. "You will be fine... I think."

"Why did they give me this class?" he asked, shaking his head. "I can't..."

"Well, that's likely why," Hal said, nudging him forward.

'Does this guy have magic or not? He did somehow manage to pass the entrance exam, so he must have it. Or how else would he have been allowed into Nine Petal?'

"Now, everyone, spread out. I assume that you all know how to use these machines by now."

We all spread out and entered one of the cubicles and placed the sphere against our stomachs. "Pour your prana into the sphere as fast as you can."

This time I managed to get my results quicker than during the entrance exam.

"Incredible," he said. It sounded as if he were standing close to us exchange students. "This time, fill it up in a second!"

I did it on time.

"No way..."

I put down the sphere and walked out. "Who did you call mediocre, huh?" I asked, grinning. "Certainly not Lei Lan, the next Magus Maximus, right?"

"Next... why you, cocky brat." He sneered at me. "You truly believe that a boy from a backwater like Wahkan can one day usurp the throne?"

I shook my head at him. "Do you not know your history? Rios was once considered a lawless backwater when Aqua came to the scene. She was the creator of the current empire."