[Revised/Edited] Episode 38: Determination and Surrender

-"Never surrender your faith and values for worldly things."

*Iah*

I crossed my arms and snickered as Adela passed me. "Now you know how I felt," I whispered. My grin faded away at the sight of a tear. I reached my hand out toward her but she was too quick. With one hand, I swept my hair back.

"Is she one of your exes?" Nyima whispered as she walked closer to me. "If you'd like, I can check in on her."

"No. That girl is too prideful. Let her be." I stared at the hand I had used to reach out toward her. 'What was I doing? Reaching out to her like that? That girl, she's not worth it.'

"Adela!" Lei yelled, continuing to run after her.

'That boy is him, isn't he? The one she spoke about all those years ago.'

The Priestess of Xian came to an abrupt stop. "Ah, sorry. I am just so hungry that I could barely wait."

"You ran past Nahimana and Wani already," Lei said, catching up to her. He took deep breaths.

"Brother," Yen said as Lei crumpled to the floor.

Adela's eyes widened. "Lei!"

"What's wrong with him?" I asked as we all gathered around him.

Lei stood up and shook his head. "Don't worry." Static crackled around his body. "I'm fine. Guess that I'm just exhausted is all."

'In general? Or did running tire him out? Seems the guy is always running, though. Why is he barely this exhausted?'

Adela helped him up. "Dummy. Don't run without your lightning aura."

He smiled weakly. "At least I got you to stop running."

She hugged him tightly. "You should've just let me go. Why did you go chasing me?"

"I... felt like I made you sad. I'm glad that wasn't the case."

'He didn't seriously believe that awful lie, did he?' I walked over to the two. "Don't hug him too tightly or you'll kill the guy."

Adela let go of Lei. "Ahh. Sorry."

Lei snickered as his breathing began to return to normal. "Now, how about we get you fed? I'm starving too."

She chuckled. "Alright."

****

After lunch, Lei, Nyima, Adela, Nahimana, and I went rock climbing with Yen's group.

"You're good at this," Nyima said as I jumped down. Her blue eyes glanced at the wall which went a dozen meters above where we stood.

I snickered as I spun around. "I would hope so! Want to try it?"

The girl smiled. "Sure."

"Lei," Adela yelled, drawing our attention. Lei's breathing grew heavier as he climbed closer to the top.

"Hey, don't force yourself!" I yelled.

"I must get to the top," Lei said, closing his eyes. He stretched his hand out for the next rock. His right hand gripped it tightly. "Can't lose to you or anyone else."

I sighed. "Even I didn't get to the top without practice. Going back down is nothing to be embarrassed of. What would be embarrassing is if you end up falling down."

"Iah is right," Adela said, looking at him with concern.

"Brother!" Yen yelled as she caught up to him. "Go back down. The air here is thinner, and you're exhausted."