[Revised/Edited] Episode 23: Battle of Skills!

-"To depend on others means to give something up. To depend on only oneself also means to surrender something."

*Lei*

"Why are we being separated into teams?" I asked as Yuzu started handing out the red prana restoration drinks from before. I leaned forward as my ears twitched in anticipation.

"We separated all of you into groups of four for magical missions," Koukyuu responded. "Whether you pass this next step depends on how well your group scores."

A wide smile appeared on my face as I recalled my favorite manga. "Ah, like in that ninja manga, Orantu!"

"Stop being such a nerd," Yen said, crossing her arms and scoffing. "You spent an hour talking about that show the other day to Yuzu and Hika the other day!"

I blushed and sipped my prana drink.

"You said it's based on the kinds of magic we can use, right?" I said in a serious tone, trying to sound a bit more mature.

Koukyuu nodded. "Yeah. Each team member balances out another. Typically, each group has one defensive mage, one fast mage, a healer, and a 'battle bruiser', but there are a few exceptions. Some have members who are proficient in more than one aspect."

I flashed a smile at Nyima, Adela, and Iah. "We must balance each other in that case." I was probably the speedster in our group. But what about the others?

Iah's eyes dug into Adela. His hands curled into fists. "I can't be in a group with her."

Koukyuu raised an eyebrow and gave him a quizzing look. "Oh, why not?"

"I—never mind." The Minan prince slowly undid his fists. "It's...fine."

Adela smiled slightly at him. "I guessed as much."

His eyes narrowed.

'Why does he dislike Adela so much?'

"Let's begin," Koukyuu said, snapping her fingers, causing the various pieces of equipment to disappear.

"What spell is this?" I asked.

"It's a materialization spell, or dematerialization in this case. It works similar to my space magic, but it's actually more akin to teleportation magic," Yuzuki responded. "You use one when you summon and unsummon your wand. Lady Zettai is one of the best materializers around. You'll learn more about it at school."

"If he passes," Yen pointed out.

Yuzuki eyed me and gave me an encouraging grin. "He'll pass." Her eyes darted toward Iah and Adela. "Think it'll work out as long as you four work together."

"Why do I have to be grouped with that flirt and you?" Nyima asked, sighing.

I jumped up. "Come on! It'll be fun!"

Nyima grumbled, standing up. "Just don't mess up."

"Lady Kasai, we have finalized the battle arrangements," said the boy who served as Nyima's proctor.

"Thanks Yuuta," Koukyuu said, smiling. She took the tablet from his hands. The boy nodded and stepped back behind her.

The way Yuuta treated her was akin to how Nahi would talk to Wani sometimes. Was Koukyuu a noble or a royal too? Come to think of it, Yuzu also called her 'Lady Zettai'.

"We will now be analyzing your skills through a series of battles," Koukyuu said as she looked up from her tablet. "You will be warped into a different landscape where you will meet your opponent team. We proctors will be watching closely for things such as skill and talent. So give it your all."