[Revised/Edited] Episode 6: Change

-"There are memories that flee easily, then there are those that are with you for as long as you live. Aim for the latter in your daily lives. "

*Vermeil*

I sighed as Ms. Key finished tending to the gangsters' wounds while my brother rounded them up. That Alto sure had a heroic spirit. Not all that different from a certain someone.

Haroun entered the bus and made his way over to me. He sighed. "All done. That sure was eventful, huh? So, what were you thinking about earlier? Was my guess right?"

I smiled. "You really know me well, Haro." I pressed my head against the window of the bus. "I was thinking about how this place is similar to Sera, although it's perhaps worse in certain ways. I hope that Sarah has changed things in her country."

Haroun sat down next to me and ate a potato chip from the bag he had previously opened. "Hmm, I don't think that much has changed. Remember, even her brother who is king is powerless to make change." He poked my face again. "Sis. It's nice of you to worry about others, but being too sympathetic can be a bad thing. The same goes for that wannabe cop kid."

'He's right. I should try to think of something else. Or rather someone else." I smiled some more. "Wonder if I'll see that boy at Nine Petal... I'd seen his name on the list of students we were to pick up. Although, the place we were meeting him wasn't Aief. Maybe it wasn't the same An I'd met.'

***

[Years Ago]

"Brother, Big bro?" I called out. The trees around me seemed to get bigger as I walked further, and further into the forest. I tried my hardest to resist the urge to close my eyes. "Mom, Dad? Where is everyone?"

A few minutes earlier I had been enjoying watching Princess Koukyuu of Kyuu Seishin battling against a boy from Sefa. That was until a series of shadow-like beings suddenly appeared at the games, causing everyone to flee for their lives.

I had gotten ahead of my family and fled to the forest. That was when I came across a strange stone that teleported me into a completely unknown location. A denser forest than the one I had originally eloped to. I was not even certain if I was even still in Kyuu Seishin.

"Are you lost?" a voice called. I looked up and saw a smiling seven-year-old boy extending a hand out to me. "If you're lost I can help you find your way back to the village."

I wiped the tears from my face with the sleeves of my white shirt. I hated people seeing me cry. Especially strangers.

"Who are you?" I asked. Was he one of the forest creatures I had read about in fairy tales? If so, was he a nice one, or an evil one?

The boy continued to hold his hand out toward me. "I'm An, and you are?"

"I'm Vermeil." I stared at the boy's purple hair. Back home, only a select few had purple hair. "Are you from this region?"

He tilted his head. "You aren't from Aief, are you?"

I gasped. 'Aief? I'm not the best at geography, but isn't that more to the northwest than Kyuu Seishin is? Why did that stone warp me here?'

He grabbed my hand. It was warm. "Let's go find some help! You must be worried about your family!"

I blushed. "Did you overhear me?"

The boy glanced back at her obliviously. "Overheard what?"

"N-nothing..."

"I see. Oh, yeah! The name's An. What's yours?"